"s" Bends

Anuwbius

I would like to know, and I feel that I am not alone, how to bend short bars into S shapes. I dont think I could pull it off on a 60D at the moment, but I wouldnt mind progressing with some weaker steel. The only person I know of doing it is Tommy, but thats only because of pictures in his gallery. There must be more. Either way, I am curious as to the technique involved. What if anything is specifically done. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I have wondered the same thing about Denis Rodgers wrench S bends. I'm not exactly sure how he does them. I have been very curious as to some of the things he has done.

the only way I can think of is by bending the object back, but not at the point of the orginal bend

I have experienced this with trying to break some grade 2 bolts, they don't want to bend back where the first bend was and this sorta ends up looking like a S shape.

I did a couple of cheap wrenches a while back. Here's how I did it: I grasped one end using only the first two fingers of my left hand and then positioned my right so it was contacting my left. My right hand was entirely on the wrench. I then double overhanded it, creating a very off center bend. I then grasped the short end of the bend using all the fingers of my right hand, so the short end was on top, pointing at my left hand. Then I placed my left hand way out on the end of the other side of the wrench, again, using only my first two fingers, and did another double overhand. A few crushowns completed the effect.

Ahh, that makes some sense. So its basically some severe off center bending, DO. I was wondering the tecnnique being used. Have you been able to pull this off on a 60d? Ooo, now I wanna go try with some 1/4 HRs and move up! Thanks Eric.

Anuwbius, no, I haven't tried a 60D yet. I don't think I could do one of the tougher 60Ds, maybe an easy one. I say that because after reading your thread I went out in the garage and cut off a 7" length of tough 1/4" CRS, which took everything I had over the course of fifteen minutes to make an "S" shape. I presented it to my wife, Sandy. I had to convince her I made it especially for her namesake. :whistel

I did a couple of cheap wrenches a while back.  Here's how I did it: I grasped one end using only the first two fingers of my left hand and then positioned my right so it was contacting my left.  My right hand was entirely on the wrench.  I then double overhanded it, creating a very off center bend.  I then grasped the short end of the bend using all the fingers of my right hand, so the short end was on top, pointing at my left hand.  Then I placed my left hand way out on the end of the other side of the wrench, again, using only my first two fingers,  and did another double overhand.  A few crushowns completed the effect.

:bow

very impressive!

I have never tried this, but sounds pretty damn tough!

nice work Eric

I did a couple of cheap wrenches a while back.  Here's how I did it: I grasped one end using only the first two fingers of my left hand and then positioned my right so it was contacting my left.  My right hand was entirely on the wrench.  I then double overhanded it, creating a very off center bend.  I then grasped the short end of the bend using all the fingers of my right hand, so the short end was on top, pointing at my left hand.  Then I placed my left hand way out on the end of the other side of the wrench, again, using only my first two fingers,  and did another double overhand.  A few crushowns completed the effect.

:bow

very impressive!

I have never tried this, but sounds pretty damn tough!

nice work Eric

Thats the way to get some honey points Eric. :D

I have only done green nails and it took about 15 min. I was cooked after that but the reward is outstanding. I bent it into the cobra shape so it sets up. It sets on my bay window in the kitchen with the rest of my mangled art.

Edited by madss