Wal-mart

BigT

I went to Walmart with my dad to get my oil changed and I was in the sporting goods section. I was eyeing the 2 25's and having never pinched them before I said "what the hell." I placed the two 25's on the ground and behind me I noticed this big guy stopped, fairly tall I guess not as tall as me though. I sucked in some air and pinched them and thought failure might be imminent but to my surprise they came off the ground easily to deadlift height :rock For me that aint much but I thought that was impossible when I started. I put the 2 25's back and walked slowly away. The guy eyed the 2 25's and took a try and failed. I turned my head as he looked at me in shock as pinching is so deceptive I guess. I said "buddy, go to www.gripboard.com and look up Big T and I'll be there to help ya" He smiled and I walked away slowly knowing that showing someone grip and the general public a thing or two makes training all the worth while ;) Stay strong all

im gonna need a moment....*crys*

are walmart plates hard?

they say golds gym on them at my walmart. but never held one.

What would really be cool is if the guy shows up here!

im gonna need a moment....*crys*

are walmart plates hard?

they say golds gym on them at my walmart. but never held one.

I've never tried the Gold's ones, I thought he was referring to the Standard plates at Wal-Mart. I have a pair of standard 25's from there and they are SLICK. I can usually get at least 10 more laps (plate hula) with the black oly 25's at the gym and no chalk, than I can at home, chalked up, on the Wal-slickies.

I went to Walmart with my dad to get my oil changed and I was in the sporting goods section. I was eyeing the 2 25's and having never pinched them before I said "what the hell."  I placed the two 25's on the ground and behind me I noticed this big guy stopped, fairly tall I guess not as tall as me though.  I sucked in some air and pinched them and thought failure might be imminent but to my surprise they came off the ground easily to deadlift height :rock  For me that aint much but I thought that was impossible when I started.  I put the 2 25's back and walked slowly away. The guy eyed the 2 25's and took a try and failed.  I turned my head as he looked at me in shock as pinching is so deceptive I guess. I said "buddy, go to www.gripboard.com and look up Big T and I'll be there to help ya"  He smiled and I walked away slowly knowing that showing someone grip and the general public a thing or two makes training all the worth while ;)  Stay strong all

Good story! :blush

Man, I never see any cool things like that happen at Wal-Mart.

About 9 months ago I was working out at the "Y", when in walked a guy, not particularly big, but obviously strong. After warming up, with some bench presses and whatnot, he started doing some really strange stuff...pinch-gripping plates, farmer's walks, finger-strap pull-ups- things I'd never seen before. I watched him out of the corner of my eye. Eventually he invited me to try some of the stuff, and, of course I couldn't do any of it. (I think my first attempt at a v-bar lift was a whopping 70#) That guy was Stew2, and since then we've become friends, and he is my grip-training mentor. Under his coaching I've become stronger than I ever thought I could be. I admire his ethics, tenacity, and dedication to the important things in life. I've been lucky enough to become part of his sphere of friends and family. Next time someone shows interest in what you are doing, gladly share it with them. They just might turn out to be a good friend and training partner. A man is lucky to have a few good friends in life. Keep it up, BigT!

John Scribner

Don't get your oil changed at Wal-Mart. It's cheap because they don't do anything but change your oil. You could have a bad air filter, no water, rusted out fuel line, or your brakes cut for all they care and they will do NOTHING. (quite possibly because they are just an oil change boy and not a mechanic but I wouldn't trust them to care if they were) Seriously I wouldn't want Wal-Mart staff to even touch my truck. Sorry to get off topic but it's a knee jerk reaction to utilization of such services.

Anyway good job, now you must work on pinching 3 25s!

Don't get your oil changed at Wal-Mart.  It's cheap because they don't do anything but change your oil.  You could have a bad air filter, no water, rusted out fuel line, or your brakes cut for all they care and they will do NOTHING.  (quite possibly because they are just an oil change boy and not a mechanic but I wouldn't trust them to care if they were)  Seriously I wouldn't want Wal-Mart staff to even touch my truck.  Sorry to get off topic but it's a knee jerk reaction to utilization of such services.

Anyway good job, now you must work on pinching 3 25s!

my lord change your own oil and work on your own car, then you know it's safe

I went to Walmart with my dad to get my oil changed and I was in the sporting goods section. I was eyeing the 2 25's and having never pinched them before I said "what the hell."  I placed the two 25's on the ground and behind me I noticed this big guy stopped, fairly tall I guess not as tall as me though.  I sucked in some air and pinched them and thought failure might be imminent but to my surprise they came off the ground easily to deadlift height :rock  For me that aint much but I thought that was impossible when I started.  I put the 2 25's back and walked slowly away. The guy eyed the 2 25's and took a try and failed.  I turned my head as he looked at me in shock as pinching is so deceptive I guess. I said "buddy, go to www.gripboard.com and look up Big T and I'll be there to help ya"  He smiled and I walked away slowly knowing that showing someone grip and the general public a thing or two makes training all the worth while ;)  Stay strong all

I have those wal mart slickies and they are slipppppeeeerrrrrreeee. Thats a great job and story BigT..

my lord change your own oil and work on your own car, then you know it's safe

I would have suggested that, I mean that's what we do at my house, but most people who don't change their own oil are baffled that someone would suggest such a possibility, hence I refrained from mentioning it.

I drove a wrecker for 7 years and I can tell you Wal-Mart oil changes keep wrecker services in buisness change your own or go to a nicer garage please. But great job on the pinching ya got that going right.

so they dont change the filter when they do an oil change?

thats hard to belive.

why do it yourself?

i pay 13 dollars at the firestone station....the parts would cost almost that much alone.

my time is worth more then the few dollars i could save...i dunno just my opinion.

i was at another wal-mart and seen the ones i think are being discussed here.

are they the round 25s?

because those were very slick.

i was only able to get those babys a inch off the ground before they dropped.

and could not get them with my left.

and i have done 78 pounds before with oly reg style plates.

Great story.

Remindes me of a sotry I had meant to post here a while ago.

So, it's mid-May, hotter than all hell here in Texas. I needed some new mittens to wear at night. So I went to the Sun & Ski sports up the road. I go in, young guy asks if he can help, I say sure I need som mittens. So I'm checking out, and he says something like, "So you getting ready to go sking in the fall?" I explain that no, I wear them at night to help my hands recover after heavy grip training. He seemed very interested and eventually came out that he does a lot of rock climbing. I tell him that grip training certainly helps out rock climbing and he should go to the gripboard and do a search on it. He wrote down the web address and I told hime my username and everything, but I don't know if he ever got on the site.