Did I Just Hit A New Pr?

Dude

I haven't had anything to bend higher than a 60D because none of the stores I've looked at carry G5 or G8 bolts in the lengths I need. I ended up going to Home depot the other week and buying a rod, HRS I believe, and made my own replica 5/16 7" red nail. I bent it. But looking at the yield strength chart I dont even think its anywhere even close to a red nail. I was wondering if someone could tell me where this falls in the progression of stock.

I know I'm bad at bending longer bars but this seemed a bit tougher than the 60D....any input is appreciated. Gracias

Yea,

5/16 hrs is kinda a bit away from a rednail though, ALOT ALOT ALOT harder then 60d though. Asuming its average hrs, im sure you could bend a grade 8.

Nice job, youll be taking down reds in no time.

Awesome, I didn't know if I should be happy or not, lol. The one I bent falls somehere around a G8 because its HRS, but if I were to find CRS at 5/16" would that be basically exact to the red nail?

I'll probably end up making a post to buy a few reds. What'd I'd like to do is buy a bunch of rods, CRS, that I could cut up on my own and save money. Is the FBBC stuff the same as the IM stuff?

fbbc is cheaper, but harder, i would probally want to start with crs,then ironmind and then fbbc.

Go look in your phonebook under steel distiburots, call up and ask for 5/16 crs round, ask the price per foot or price per lb...find the best price.

Finally, I found a place to buy CRS. They only sell in 12ft bars, not by the foot. Their price for one 12ft X 5/16 is $4.50, and for 12ft X 1/4 its $4.00.

I can get about 20 red replicas from that for $4.50 if I cut it myself. Is that a good price or should I continue the search OT?

Finally, I found a place to buy CRS. They only sell in 12ft bars, not by the foot. Their price for one 12ft X 5/16 is $4.50, and for 12ft X 1/4 its $4.00.

I can get about 20 red replicas from that for $4.50 if I cut it myself. Is that a good price or should I continue the search OT?

That sounds like a reasonable price to me but hey I got my steel in Alaska when I started bending so that sounds good, especially for the 5/16" but the 1/4" is okay but I have heard from of a little cheaper and sold in 20 foot sections. It is not a rip off by no means, but you could still shop around while you finish off that quarter stock you now have.

P.S. Remember you can actually run up some local bought steel that could be weaker or even dare I say surpass the yield strength of the IM or FBBC stock so don’t get discouraged it if turns out to be harder because if you can bend that and then order some Reds or FBBC Bars later you could be pleasantly surprised. On the other hand don’t be discouraged it turns out easier to bend than the IM or FBBC stock.

KEEP BENDING GATOR

I just spent $4.?? on a 4foot length of 5/16 CRS. I'm dumb :whacked , I know it.

It isn't cut yet, I'm gonna stare at it a little while longer.

Yea so I went today to go grab some steel and I was politely informed that there is a $100 minimum. If I were to buy the minimum in steel and cut it up into reds I would end up with around 500 nails. Crap.

But in other news I finally found a place to buy G5s and G8s. Going tomorrow early to pick some up. Will report on the new PR tomorrow. Wish luck

nice job!

How hard was the grade 8? maybe you can shoot for a 5.5 i would definatly say if you can crush down a 5.5 grade 8 you would have a good chance at rushing down a red.

They were really decieving. Putting a good kink in them wasn't very hard but the crush down surprised me because they were harder than I anticipated. I guess always bending those 1/4 grade 2s got it in my head than anything that thick is easy to crush, lol.

I think I gotta let my hands heal for a few days and then I'm gonna cut up the G5s and 8s to try and go for a new PR. Hopefully I'll also buy some red nails for IM during the break.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I found a 6" G8 easier than a 7" 5/16 HRS,  7" is just an akward lenght to bend for me.

I'm that way too. When I bend at that length I feel like I have no leverage. I'm much better with 6" and under