Grip Toys

Michael86

Alright guys I finally cashed my paycheck and Im going to "construct" some grip toys.first off the softball and baseball,I think i get the jist of of but want to make sure.Im just going to get a 3/4 eye bolt bout 5-6in long dunno havent bought the soft or base yet so that info would be appreciated aka center cylindrical length.Then drill the hole through take a larger bit "however wide the nut is for the bolt" drill one end 3/4 to 1in. into it and just assemble?Please correct process if im wrong.Then I will probly just get a 1X4,2x4,3x4, for some block grip toys and use eyeblots again just need to know if they hold when u get ur weights up or they need some kinda rubber cement or wood glue or some shit to secure it.For the weight connecting thing or chain whatever you want to call it ill probly try to find some chain or climbing rope and use two carribeaners to connect the thing.Any feedback at all is well appreciated.Thank You.

I made my pinch block a few months back out of 2 pcs. of scrap 2x4 nailed together from both sides with 2 1/4" nails, then drilled through for the eyebolt. I used a large spade bit to inset the nut end of the eyebolt so I don't have that digging into my palms. It's held up for the weights I'm using, but as I get stronger I will make another and glue it as well as nailing or screwing it together for extra strength... use wood glue or epoxy, not rubber cement. The extra security of gluing would make me feel better after seeing some of the weights the really strong guys were pulling at the GGC last weekend. Make it long enough to get both hands on for the 2-hand grip. Then have someone weld you up a loading pin, even better, 2 (1" and 2", 24" long and 15" long respectively) with rings so you can hang them from the pinch block. My brother-in-law made me 2 a couple of weeks ago. Now you can start training for the GGC next year! Oh, don't forget the grippers, the thick-bar dumbbell, and the Rolling Thunder, 'cause you'll see them in the future, and they are a**-kickers!! Welcome to the world of grip-training....

John Scribner

When I made my softball, I just hammered an awl into the ball instead of drilling it out since I wanted it as tight as possible on the eye bolt. A decent sized nail would do, too.

Take a gander at these I made for some ideas to make your own grip toys. :D

http://www.gripboard.com

Edited by GatorGrip

first off the softball and baseball,I think i get the jist of of but want to make sure.Im just going to get a 3/4 eye bolt bout 5-6in long dunno havent bought the soft or base yet so that info would be appreciated

Don't make one. PM me with your address and I'll send you one gratis. :)

Recently I bought an Olympic weight set and bench, which left me with some extra std. DB and barbell bars, and an assortment of std. 1" weights. So today I took some 2" OD PVC pipe, cut it to fit the handles of my DB and the inside length of my old barbell, and Volia!, instant thickbars. Granted, they aren't the 2 1/2" monsters I ran across at the GGC, :cry but for me it is a whole new dimension in grip-training, and I won't be wasting my time with the wussy 1" bars when trying to train my grip anymore. All together I probably have $5.00 in PVC pipe in the 2 DB and 1 barbell, and the difference is amazing.

John Scribner

John - just a little tip - if the inner bars aren't centered in the outer sleeve - then they don't tend to roll in your hand the same way a real fat bar does. An easy way to center them is using soft foam pipe insulation - just put it on the thin inner bar and slide the PVC outer on over it - cheap easy and no equipment needed. The pressure per square inch is low enough that the soft foam holds up forever. Be sure and find insulation that is close to the size you want or use tape to swish it down to size a little.

Thanks, Chris, for the tip- I'm making a Lowe's run manana and will get some!

John