The Price Of Inexperience

climber511

I just saw the results page and now I'm upset with myself.

I was pretty unhappy with myself when I failed left handed in the levering event at GGC. I opened with the 12# sledge and failed to complete a rep (I actually did 2 reps but both were turned down for lifting my shoulder). I did it easily in warm ups and felt confident but the left hand just went on strike or something. If I had been smart (Never a strong point of mine) and started and completed one 10# rep - I would have finished 2nd in my division. Wow do I feel stupid!

Now I know everyone has a what if story - this was just mine. It's a physical error of course but it's the mental mistake that is bothering me. I couldn't help how strong I wasn't but I could have - should have been smart enough to get in a super safe rep before moving up. Maybe next time!

Did you know where you stood at the time you determined that 12 lbs was what you wanted? In other words did you know you only needed the ten beforehand and just went for broke...or you didn't know so you went for the highest to be safe.

Yes, this is your learning curve. The more comps you do the smarter you become.

But you did well, just be happy you have the strength there.

David

You work on your physical strength in the gym. You work on your mental strength (aka ability to strategize and think calmly) in competition. You did real well Chris, and I hope to meet you one day in a contest

You'd think a guy'd be happy with all the stuff he got for the Diesel award....I guess Chris wanted to haul another giant pile of loot home.....

;)

Any good athlete always feels they could have done better. There were two real oddball events, no question, and they would be difficult to prepare for.

You should feel real good about how you did, as there are some very strong hombres you finished ahead of.

I remember Ali predicting a victory over Sonny Liston over 40 years ago, saying, "if he wants to go to heaven I'll take him at seven", and then winning in the 7th round. Go look at the predictions, no one, besides me, had you as a "top pick", proclaiming "Geezer Power". I knew you had it in you, congratulations! I hope your boys are proud of you, as they should be!

Hubgeezer

You did great chris. But next year is going to be a battle if you want to beat me again :D

Edited by Kurt Lane

Thanks guys - I did not know my position at the time as I had not seen the results of the medley yet. I was one of the first few competitors for the levering so I had no idea what I might need as it progressed, had I known what the points for 10# might have done down the road, I would have done it differently(20-20 hindsight). We had plenty of time to have taken the lighter attempt, and still have time for the 12# as well - over confident from the warmups I guess. I did the whole comp fairly agressively, next time I hope to do it more intelligently as well. I was thinking calmly I believe and it certainly wasn't a panic and go for broke type thing - but SMART thinking would have prevented it easily.

Fellows - please don't take this all wrong - I am thrilled about the whole contest and how I did. I wouldn't trade my Diesel Award for first place in both divisions. I still get choked up when I think how all you guys believed in me at the end. I just wanted to start a thread about the mental and stratagy aspects of a big meet.

Brain farts killed several of us, Chris. Oh well, had I been stronger I wouldn't have to worry about it. Time to start training for next year!

Jonathan - I think it was Sean Dockery a while back who summed it up - getting stronger will solve most stratagy problems.

Another little thing to think about. Jake Brooks and the Keiner boys don't even train their grip - I don't even think Cliff lifts any weights to speak of - how scarey is that?

Chris- I feel your pain, missing the support medley lefty cost me dearly, I should have slowed down a tad. But I'm happy with a top 10 spot, this was my first grip comp. and has been an excellent learning experience. I'm already looking forward to GGC 06!

great contest guys. my weak hammers just about knock me out of the top three. It won't be weak next time I promise, so don't count on my same hammer #'s!!! Everybody brought there best game and consistanty wins contest. Tommy and Jed had there mind set to take a win which I felt they were by far the strongest in there Division.

Congrates to everyone for competing, now everyone knows what they need for next time. bring it.

great contest guys. my weak hammers just about knock me out of the top three. It won't be weak next time I promise, so don't count on my same hammer #'s!!! Everybody brought there best game and consistanty wins contest. Tommy and Jed had there mind set to take a win which I felt they were by far the strongest in there Division.

Congrates to everyone for competing, now everyone knows what they need for next time.  bring it.

Maybe but one thing you don't need work on is the V-bar. You are one strong dude!! It was great meeting you and your wife. Speaking of witch your wife dang strong too! Watch out if kids come along. :D

Congrates to everyone for competing, now everyone knows what they need for next time.  bring it.

Maybe but one thing you don't need work on is the V-bar. You are one strong dude!! It was great meeting you and your wife. Speaking of witch your wife dang strong too! Watch out if kids come along. :D

Thanks Nick! it was great meeting you and Stu, I like them Farmstrong boys!

speaking of the kids, my 6 year old girl just knocked down 7 pull ups on the 1.5" spinning pull-up bar. She's training!

V-bar- nope I am not touching it until next year :inno