Yellow Nail Kicks My Ass

George Champlin

Well, it looks like you have adopted the close hand method of DO, which is some raw wrist power. BUt, I would say if thats not the case that your still too close to the center of the bar and not able to compress into it as much, and as a result, really putting alot of torque on your your wrists. Your wrists shoudl never go to the full range of motion IMO. You seem to of had the proper hand placement at about 00:30 seconds in, but right after, your hands migrate in. If you would like, I can post some pictures and videos to show you what i mean, but it would be later on this evening or tomorrow. You can definitely take down that nail, and as Bender once said, you just dont know it yet.

Edited by Anuwbius

Good DO technique is a combo of pushing on the ends and also using a wrist twist. With your current technique you are using all wrist power. It just takes time to learn how to properly apply pressure to the ends.

Part of that is getting the knuckles to be more parallel with each other which typically means moving the hands out more, as others have suggested. They don't need to be perfectly parallel though. Just experiment until you feel you can push on the ends more. Also, don't bend straight down, your arms should move out from your body at an angle. It's not horizontal movement either, but something in between.

Maybe try a blue first.

If I teach DO I always prefer a blue against a yellow sínce the Yellow is requiring more technique due to its length.

Forget your wrists.

If you use leather:

Grab the bar with only your index and your middle finger.

Doing this, the pad automatically will direct the bar how to bend.

Now PUSH! into the bar.

Feel how the pad bends around the ends of the bar.

This will produce the necessary 'down-force'.

It took me very long to bend a Yellow DO.

But as soon as I could do it, I could bend a blue, a G5 and a G8 also.

Maybe try a blue first.

If I teach DO I always prefer a blue against a yellow sínce the Yellow is requiring more technique due to its length.

Forget your wrists.

If you use leather:

Grab the bar with only your index and your middle finger.

Doing this, the pad automatically will direct the bar how to bend.

Now PUSH! into the bar.

Feel how the pad bends around the ends of the bar.

This will produce the necessary 'down-force'.

It took me very long to bend a Yellow DO.

But as soon as I could do it, I could bend a blue, a G5 and a G8 also.

Since I have no blue's should I just cut the Yellow's?

Yes - from what I've read, a 6" inch yellow is identical to a blue. You might want to cut it to about 6 and 1/4", give a little extra length only to reduce the force needed by a small amount (as opposed to a blue).