Hrs And Crs

carusom1

I had posted earlier about different grade bolts. This is about CRS vs. HRS.

Like I said before, I am no expert with metallurgy, but I do find this stuff interesting. I have had a good amount of chemistry, so I kinda know whats going on. :unsure If something on here is wrong, don't hesitate to correct me. Its cool, it is a learn in progress for me as well.

I know the issue of CRS and HRS has been brought up before. There are a couple of things to look for to see the difference.

1.) CRS is quenched (dunked in water) or rolled at lower temps. during the manufacturing process. Cooling quickly doesn't give the atoms a chance to align, and gives the steel a much duller and dirtier look. HRS has more shine because it cools more slowly and the atoms form a lattice. CRS is more brittle but harder, like a grade 8 bolt. (a grade 8 bolt looks the way it does because of different alloys and it is electroplated) *

2.) When CRS is cut (with hacksaw or bolt-cutters), it will more likely snap than slice. HRS will slice because it is softer. (This is difficult to expain without a pic) Look at two different pieces next time you cut them and look at the difference. Even better, try to bend them back and forth until you break it and you will notice a definate difference. The difference noticed will be because of the sheer strength.

*Adding carbon to steel will make it much harder, but also very brittle. So don't think brittle means weak.

This a site providing more detail and better understandable explainations for steel and what not.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/iron2.htm

sorry about the long post, if you made it through this- thank you for your patience :kiss

Good post!!

thanks Lyle

for a while I didn't think anybody was going to read this! :)

Good info. I didn't know.

And the CRS does snap suddenly in bolt cutters. And when it snaps it sling shots across the room. EYE PROTECTION would be advised and t.v. protection in my case.

Thanks for the info, Jason

Edited by com202