Ggc2005 - Prelimary Results

smitty

what did he do?

I will have pics but ONE of the things he did was hold a 300lb Atlas stone in his lap and a 45lb weight attached to his head and bent a IM red! He also did one with a engine block hanging off his head while he bent a horseshoe

WOW what a show of power and strength by those who trained hard and came to give it their all. I don't think anyone that even came in lower than they had hoped can consider themselves nothing but a winner just to be able to hold their own and compete at such an elite level. I mean these men have some the highest functional strength on the planet. Way to go guys and I hate that the Gator missed it but one day we will get to face each other and shake hands. (just don't crush my little fingers :( -- :D )

All I can say is whether you were there in person or experiencing vicariously through the pics and posts about the contest all have learned at least one thing.

The human spirit, strength of mind and might of muscle can do incredible things to (as the Diesel Crew says) Take It To The Next Level!

Congrats to everyone: Promoters, Participants, Supporters and all those Spouses Mothers, Children and Girlfriends that let their men, son or dad take the time to train hard and come to a great event like this to show their stuff. :rock

GATOR

Congrats on a fine event!!

Edited by pdoire

Finally had a chance to talk to Jedder last night. He has been ducking me for a few days... :whistel:flame

For being a man who just won the greatest grip contest ever hosted, he sure is humble. What I liked most was he said if the other 2 wouldnt have went for world records, he probably would have taken 3rd and not 1st. All about strategy. Some times it pays off, some times it bites you on the ass.

Again, Great job Jedd! Nice to see you getting what you diserve.

-Rick

What I liked most was he said if the other 2 wouldnt have went for world records, he probably would have taken 3rd and not 1st.  All about strategy.  Some times it pays off, some times it bites you on the ass.

Take note wanna-bes. This is a mistake of mine in the past.

I did what I set out to do. I broke the V-bar record in three attempts and made most of my planned lifts at the Contest. (I missed the #3 and started too light in the Euro pinch because I was not familiar with the equipment) Breaking the record left hand also and going for 380+ was an added bonus. I have no regrets.

As far as Chad Woodall is concerned, watching him go for the World Record was my favorite part of the Contest.

Thanks David,

I am not at a level where I can expect to compete for a win a major Contest, or I would probably do things differently.

I have to admit it did look like Chad had a good chance of catching up to Jedd. Jedd did not have a weak event during the Contest though, and his 360+ V-bar pull really gave him some breathing room.

Congrats David, on both hands too!!! :bow I didn't know that! Wow, you sure are one strong mofo! :mosher It will be a hard lift to beat :cry

Edited by DuTCH

Congrats David, on both hands too!!! :bow  I didn't know that! Wow, you sure are one strong mofo! :mosher  It will be a hard lift to beat :cry

Thorton's a beast! :D

Just to clarify. Records for v-bar total should be reserved for competitions in which both hands are contested in full for a full number of attempts for all individuals and counted as a total result.

I am a firm believer in contesting both hands in full in grip strength competitions, much like you use both hands in boxing.

Hopefully there will be contests next year in the USA where both hands are included for a v-bar total so I can add Americans to the lists. Dave would be my no. 1 pick for taking and holding on to the total v-bar record (currently at 317.5k) if he can manage to attend a suitable competition.

Can't you all sponsor him so he can go to England in December and snatch the v-bar total in the lions den?

Imagine Dave against Jim Wylie in the v-bar, with David Horne in hot pursuit (if he is having a good day :calm ). Almost too good of an opportunity to pass.

Just to clarify. Records for v-bar total should be reserved for competitions in which both hands are contested in full for a full number of attempts for all individuals and counted as a total result.

I am a firm believer in contesting both hands in full in grip strength competitions, much like you use both hands in boxing.

Hopefully there will be contests next year in the USA where both hands are included for a v-bar total so I can add Americans to the lists. Dave would be my no. 1 pick for taking and holding on to the total v-bar record (currently at 317.5k) if he can manage to attend a suitable competition.

Can't you all sponsor him so he can go to England in December and snatch the v-bar total in the lions den?

Imagine Dave against Jim Wylie in the v-bar, with David Horne in hot pursuit (if he is having a good day :calm ). Almost too good of an opportunity to pass.

so now the jedd's record is not good enough for you because he didn't use two hand?

Sometimes it is better not to speak than to remove all doubts.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Actually, I think the new World Record Total for the Vbar is: 330,4 k. David Thorton hit 165,2 k with both hands.

See my reply above (we can always discuss this in the chat room with the other organisers). Right now the WR is 163.8k held by Jim Wylie.

We may soon have a new WR set by Jedd and Dave. What is standing between them and a new WR is an un-calibrated bathroom scale. I think it indicated just over 165k. Most bathroom scales seem to be within a per cent or two of the actual weight, so I would expect the weight lifted by the two to end up somewhere between 162-168-ish.

See my reply above (we can always discuss this in the chat room with the other organisers). Right now the WR is 163.8k held by Jim Wylie.

We may soon have a new WR set by Jedd and Dave. What is standing between them and a new WR is an un-calibrated bathroom scale. I think it indicated just over 165k. Most bathroom scales seem to be within a per cent or two of the actual weight, so I would expect the weight lifted by the two to end up somewhere between 162-168-ish.

mikael...

leave it alone already. The wr belongs to someone else now.

mikael...

leave it alone already. The wr belongs to someone else now.

Certainly no doubts anymore (and I am not talking about any WR's here).

Correction, a potentially new WR by Jedd (I thought, based on the initial reports, that they both got the same weight).