A Fresh Start

Guest map12345

Guest map12345

Yah, so just past a month ago I found out that my mom and step-dad broke up, and moved apart. So I came to my dad's place, and everything's been fine, and I'm doing alright, it's just that my weight training (and life) was a little jumbled around, but I got back into it a couple weeks ago, and am now just having some fun and getting bigger and stronger every couple days.

So yah, I'm just looking forward to listening to you guys ramble some more... I really appreciate the no-nosence strength and fitness advice thrown around here.

:D   :hehe  :p

-map

Map,

What are your grip goals?  Have you been working on your grip at all since the parents broke up?  (sorry to hear about that - hope you're o.k.).  Fill us in on your details.  Welcome back.   :)  :)

Guest map12345

Well... I've actually never been big into grip work... I've mostly ended up doing just basic compound movements: Favs being deadlifts and 1 db overhead press, plus rows, bench presses, (squats if I had a rack), etc.

But... hands, forearms, and grip stength have always been my favorite. I don't really know why... but I guess it's just cause a strong guy has a strong grip. It always seems to be that way.

So, I don't have any grip goals... or even many regular goals.

My lifts are really weak, I'm only 5'6"  120 pounds... I just hit a growth spurt and am now just short, not like a midgit. I have small lifts like 115 pound deadlift for 10 or so reps, 70 pound bench press for like 7 or 8 (bum shoulders from being on crutches for a long time has held me back big time in bech pressing, I've basically avoided it completely), can press a 30 pound Db in either hand a few times overhead... have done a few full chin ups, etc.

Oh, and for grip... I guess a 65 pound 1 hand (overhand) deadlift with sweaty hands, on a smooth bar, and I've done some cheap hand grippers, etc.

So yah :D

-map

Good to have you back Mr. Map! My son was about your size when the "Iron Bug"bit and now he is a real powerhouse. Keep up the good work and if I can ever be of help just let me know. Regards,RS

Guest Jeff Roark

Map,

You are starting off much stronger than I was. Stick to the good old basics from now until the end and you'll be fine. I too am short...5'5 and now 200lbs. Lift big, eat big, sleep big.

Guest Canthar

Just keep at it Map the strength will surprise you. I started very weak we are talking sub 100lbs squats, and my biggest weak point being my biceps I couldn't do effective back work well ((15lbs curls)) I tore the tendons in my both shoulders at the deltoid insertion point and developed a case of wicked elbow tendonitis. Through all that in the last 14 workouts which really labels my come back to any kind of workout after almost 2 years of injury recovery I have doubled almost all of my lifts.

Image is nothing Intensity is everything....

Guest map12345

wow... I always though t I was really weak, it's nice to hear that all you guys started out like me......... even though I guess EVERYONE must have started off somewhere :)

Actually... getting to this strength was from on and off for quite a while. Little bit here and there and now I seem to be fairly average in strength among others my age. I had always been an inactive kid, and then my broken leg got me in real bad shape. So I started off doing about 5 knee push ups, ansd 1 negative real push up, and increasing every day, and about 20 crunches and that workout was exhausting.

:hehe Well then... :)

-map

When I started at 16, I was 155 and 5'7 (I'm still 5'7 but I have gain a lot of weight). I couldn't have bench 135 if my life depends on it. After 4 years of bodybuilding crap, I was at 185 and my lifts were good but nothing to call home.

At 21, I discovered Cyberpump and began serious training. At 22, I read Dino training and Super squats. I got my grippers too. I'm now 215 pounds with a 350 + bench, 500 + squat and 550 + deadlift.

Train hard and heavy and you can't do nothing but grow and get stronger.

As for your grip, train hard on the basics and build your way up.