60d!

Justin Reagan

I bent my first 60d today. Hot galvanized 60d common from Lowe's. Rest sure has done me some good. I had a really hard bending, tearing, and levering workout today, and my hands feel great! Maybe a little worked feeling, but no pain in the wrist and the back of the hand. I feel great (and maybe a little strong...) today. A big bending PR is a good thing.

I also put a major kink in one of those big 12"x3/8" spikes (galvanized). I braced it against my body in every way imaginable, but there is a pretty good kink. Not just a "bow" in the spike, as there is definitely an angle there. 15 or 20 degrees I would say.

Details will be posted in my log.

Justin Reagan

It felt great! What made it better was the fact I could still open and close my hand without pain afterwards. I'm going to buy a whole box of these 60d's tomorrow.

Justin Reagan

TREMENDOUS JOB Justin,

You have conquered a real challenge and hit a true landmark in the bending arts. :mosher

If you go out and buy that big 50lb box of 60d nails all I can say is once you finish them off you will have gained a really significant level of hand, wrist, and arm strength for sure.

I recall our friend burner who is now a certified Red Nail Bender and has made his mark on the FBBC stocks said he did volume work with the 60-penny nails and that put him in a position to kill the Red.

Oh congrats on the 12" x 3/8" Spike, a kink on that bad boy is a PR in my book!

GATOR

Congratulations, Justin!

By the way, I've found that pulling on the spike braced over my upper shin, while standing on the other leg, works best for me. After I attain about a 30 degree kink with this technique, I then crush it down between my upper thigh and my chest.

So do you actually stand on one foot while you bend these, Eric? I have always nealt down but i've been wondering about other bracing styles to get the longer steel.

Thanks guys! Encouragement is a very motivating thing.

Eric:

That's how I found that I can pull the best, also. The "bend it over the thigh" thing just doesn't work too well for me. I just braced it all kinds of ways, and that just seemed the strongest.

Justin Reagan

Jeff, yes, I balance on one leg. I'm able to get much more leverage using this technique, as opposed to kneeling down.

Jeff, yes, I balance on one leg.  I'm able to get  much more leverage using this technique, as opposed to kneeling down.

I can vouch that the Flamingo form is how Eric "STEEL SHINES" Milfeld makes light work of a big spike. I had the pleasure of watching Eric do this waaayyyy to easily.

Being the mentor/coach he is, Eric let me have a try at this feat of strength. Well I tried and I may have put a 1% wobble in it then he took it from me laid it across his shine and pre-kinked it a little, then a bit more after my next futile attempt. Well I can't say that I finished it because I still have a pre-kinked souvenir. I did leave with a pair of silver dollar size bruises in a beautiful shade of purple. There was one bruise on my upper thigh and one on the right side of my ribcage where I tried to brace that big steel. :laugh

I posted a picture of a few things, including the kinked spike, in my gallery, in case anyone's interested.

I just noticed--I'm now a Gripboard veteran. :cool

Justin Reagan

Good Job Justin you have duplicated a classic feat of strength..Whats next Disney World??? :D Good work, keep it up....Brett

Thats cool, good job Justin.

I remember my first 60d was quite a suprise to me (only a few months ago).

and now i am having a great time bending multiple 60d's , Grade 5's and some 1/4" FBBC stock.

Just ordered an FBBC Benders Bag and i cant wait to see how bending that horseshoe feels.

Good Luck to Justin and everyone else, the road to Bending PR's is both painful and very fun.

great Job, the 60d for me was a major goal, second only to the RED even though I went on to G5's and G8's they still didn't feel as important as when I got a 60d.

Congratulations, Justin!

By the way, I've found that pulling on the spike braced over my upper shin, while standing on the other leg, works best for me.  After I attain about a 30 degree kink with this technique, I then crush it down between my upper thigh and my chest.

Can you explain your crushdown technique in a little more detail? I can't quite picture it.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

Great job Justin. I too hope to get a 60 in the next couple of months there sure are tough, you help me to see that they can be done.

Handgripper Dad,

Are you handgrippermans dad?

If so no doubt you will get those goals with Kevin's advice and encouragement.

Like father like son.

Congratulations, Justin!

By the way, I've found that pulling on the spike braced over my upper shin, while standing on the other leg, works best for me.  After I attain about a 30 degree kink with this technique, I then crush it down between my upper thigh and my chest.

Can you explain your crushdown technique in a little more detail? I can't quite picture it.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

I grasp the bottom of the spike with my left hand, so that the point is centered in my palm. With my right hand I grasp the top of the spike so that it's centered on my thumb pad. With my left hand resting on my right thigh, just below waist level, and my right hand brace under my right pec, I will push my torso down towards my thigh. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further clarification. It sucks not having a video camera at the moment.

Time to get a fish bowl and start filling it wil bent 60ds. Great job man.

-Sean