need gripper

willardjamessloan

Hello everyone , I need a gripper betwen #2- #3. I have no idea where to look . PDA seem great but I do not understand some of there terms concernig  begining torque. final sweep etc. I just want a gripper to have about 235# strength to close. Have come up with a lot of ideas  watching the screen. You guys seem very helpful to everyone  from novices to masters. THANKS   :)

I say go for the Beefbuilder Master. They do vary like all grippers, but mine is harder than my both the #2's I currently have and the wider handles will help develop your sweep a bit too. My one sits perfectly between the 2's and my 3's.

They can be ordered through Weighlifter's Warehouse

Arthur

Thanks Arthur, however I understood that they sold only 1.2.3.4 just like im. So when I order just ask for beefmaster. I will look on their site when I get off here. :)

Arthur just got off ww site , master beefbuilder is 195# to close just like IM . If so how is it harder, sorry I am a little slow on the uptake.

From my experience the BB Master is harder due to a number of factors. First the sweep of the handles is wider. Second the spring is roughly the same size as the #2 but it is set deeper into the handles.

I currently have an old #2 and a fairly new one, the older one being a fair bit harder than the new one. The BB Master is another step up in hardness from the old one and is a fair bit easier than my #3. For me it was the perfect gripper to step up to after the #2's. According to the PDA calibration results (check the first post on the GripBoard) the BB Master seems to have a closing torque rated in the high 200's, around 280 or so, so take that 195 rating with a grain of salt.

Hope this is of some help in making your decision.

Arthur

Guest baldy

Not trying to talk you out of a BBM, but the one I ordered was easier than my IronMind #2 and the handle spread was smaller. It looked just like my PDA gripper, actually, but was much easier to close. WW doesn't market the BBM as in-between an IM #2 and #3, though, so I don't fault them for that. On here everyone else's was between their #2 and #3, so I tried it. I think that all the months of talk about calibration tell us that you don't know exactly what you will get when you order a gripper. Some of us luck out with one brand, some with another. The only thing written in stone is that all IM #3's and #4's are hard. All BBE's are hard. Some are harder than others, but all are hard.

My brother's new IM #3 is easier than my PDA 347 ip gripper which is pretty darn easy compaired to my IM #3. I could certify tomorrow on my brother's gripper, if I wished to. My point is that not all IM #3's are particularly "hard". They are subject to the same material (spring metal) inconsistencies as are all other grippers. I do not believe there is a straight-forward answer to the original question on this post.

If you can afford it The Grippanator may be the way to go. I am waiting for a few reports to appear on this forum about it before I decide about it. Looks good though, but pretty expensive.

-Mike

I was in the same situation as you : I wanted an in-between gripper, between 2 and 3. I got a 325 PDA and it is no contest. Almost as hard as my #3. Most people have good results with the BBM.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Yes it seems nearly impossible to get a gripper right between the #2 and #3. I got a 338 ip PDA gripper that was easier to close than all four IM #2's I have tested. I was thinking of getting a BBM but maybe it will be another waste of money? I have had access to three IM #3's. If one could just close the easiest one, one would have 2-3 mm left on the intermediate one and if one could just close the latter one would have about 2 mm left on the hard one. I also have a 437 ip PDA which I wanted to be tougher to close than the middle one of the 3's and luckily it is, so I was very pleased with it (in contrast to the 338 which feels like something between a IM #1 and #2).

Guest baldy

Mikael, I won't say it is a waste of money. So far as anyone has posted here, my experience with a weak BBM has been the only one. I really like my PDA 347, it is built just like the BBM was but it is has a higher tension (between my #2 and #3, just like I wanted). Judging from all the posts about this, though, it is very hit-and-miss trying to get a gripper with a desired felt-tension. I didn't post to slander WW or their products, just wanted to let people know that a BBM won't always be harder than an IM #2.

Mike, my PDA 347 is also considerably easier than my IM #3. I have also heard stories of IM #3's that were "easy". However, it is considered a great feat of strength to close a gripper from IM (that hasn't been tampered with) that has a '3' or a '4' stamped on the handle. I do not want to belittle anyone's accomplishments, so as far as I am concerned if you can close one stamped '3' you are strong. Period. Any decision you make to work towards a harder gripper is your business. On a personal note I do think it shows character not to take the "easy route", but that is just my opinion.

BTW, it is interesting that we have the same calibrated inch-lb from PDA...

Baldy,

I really love both my PDA grippers. They fit in my hands better. Each of my IM grippers has a very different configuration and requires more specialized learning on the part of my hand to close. In other words, I must work with them harder to get their feel.

I do feel pretty good about my progress with the grippers. It has been pretty slow though - I've been at it for about three years now. I'm ALMOST where I hoped to be at the end of my first year! HA! Boy, was I naive.

-Mike

Guest baldy

Mike, I really like my PDA gripper too - both the feel (as you mentioned) and the felt tension when closing it. However, it still seems like a lot of people have had problems getting that "perfect gripper". The BBM I was sent had the same handle spread that the PDA grippers have. Everyone else said the handles were wider on their BBM. I have small hands so the wide handles on my #3 and #4 are a challenge, but that is all part of it.

As for "getting the feel", Heath's method of training every day with at least the IM trainer or #1 has helped me a lot overcoming that problem.