Du And Do

carusom1

Having a tough time doing DU with 5 1/2" or less pieces. I'm much better doing the shorter pieces with DO.

But better with DU with pieces that are 5 1/2" and above.

Any advice from a DO or DU bender? ( I guess thats almost everybody :trout )

thank you

The main thing is that you have to develop fierce strength and durability in your last two finger, ring and pinkie. I have heard that this is the key for double underhand bending, and some good excersizes for it are reverse sledgehammer levering and finger holds with block weights.

I am also having a hard time bending 1/4" cold rolled and stainless steel that is cut to five inches. I would appreciate if anyone could provide me with any advice on bending bars this size with either of the two forms mentioned in this thread.

The main thing is that you have to develop fierce strength and durability in your last two finger, ring and pinkie. I have heard that this is the key for double underhand bending, and some good excersizes for it are reverse sledgehammer levering and finger holds with block weights.

I am also having a hard time bending 1/4" cold rolled and stainless steel that is cut to five inches. I would appreciate if anyone could provide me with any advice on bending bars this size with either of the two forms mentioned in this thread.

That is some solid advice ProfessorKomodo (are you even a teacher?:laugh)

about the levering and block weights for focusing on those last to phalanges.

I have had the great blessing to be fairly decent at the short side of the short bending. (feel free to take a peak at my gallery album for some pics as reference) I have bent a thing or two a little shorter but I do not have access to a digital camera at the moment since I moved from Alaska to Florida.

About the shorter bending I find for myself that even though I can DU up to a grade 5s I prefer DO for the shortest stuff. The reason is as you stated in your message DU demands a lot from that ring and pinkie finger. Now shorten the bar, bolt or nail and before you know it you are basically only able to clamp down on the bar with only those last two fingers. They have to be immensely strong just to hold it tight enough to incorporate your wrist and arms into the bend. Plus because of the short length the bar tends to dig into the palm more than the thumb pad, which is the classic point of end placement of the bar.

DO on the other hand forces you to use the first two fingers, which is naturally going to be stronger as they are structurally thick in bone and tendon. On the shortest bends only the index and middle fingers and sometimes only half of the middle finger can be used to clamp down hard on that steel. Plus to your benefit the bar ends are more in firmly against the thumb pads, which lessens the pain factor because of the thicker tissue there.

So in my humble opinion the shortest of short bending is more easily done using the Double Overhand style.

That's My Story and I am Sticking To It! :D

Your Fellow Bending Berserker

GATOR

Professor-

this is good advice, I always end up thinking more about my wrist than my fingers

I need to concentrate on that more

Gator-

well articulated, as always Gator

thank you

One thing not mentioned that seems to make DU difficult with short bends is that the pinkies end up smashing into eachother because you can't get much bar in the hands

thanks guys

I wonder what one of the toughest short bends has been accomplished with DU?

I think there was a grip contest earlier this year, Greg bent a grade 5 at 3.25 in., using DO i believe. :ohmy

DU is far more easier to do short pieces than my typical reverse grip style. So I haven't found it to be largely more difficult.

Having a tough time doing DU with 5 1/2" or less pieces.    I'm much better doing the shorter pieces with DO.

But better with DU with pieces that are 5 1/2" and above.

I'm a bending newb, so hold the :flame and what I say may be different for you guys who are much stronger.

In tonite's workout, I struggled intensely with a 5" cut TT DU kinking it quite a bit, but when I switched to DO as a whim (since my few workouts have been better DU) I managed to get it done, even though I'd failed in about 5 DU attempts giving it all I got.

When back to a 5 3/4" TT for DO, I got it with little trouble, but felt the initial kink was easier when bending them DU. Next workout with 5 to 5 1/4" TT's I'll see if I do best to kink somewhat DU and once I can kink no more, quickly flip it over to DO to finish kink prior to crushdown.

Could just be my body type with is short and stocky with a presser's build, but I experienced exactly what you stated.

.. neilkaz ..

Edited by neilkaz