60ds

Justin Reagan

I know it varies (widely), but in most people's experience, are bright common or galvanized common usually harder? Right now I have a few of 3 varieties of 60d. I have a few bright, a few galvanized, and a few really dark colored ones. So far, I've put a pretty good bow in the bright (ACE), a wobble in the dark (local hardware store), and I haven't tried the galvanized (Lowe's).

Once I find one that I can finally bend, I'll buy a box of them. I really will. I can buy 30 or 50 lb. boxes of either the bright or the galvanized. The dark ones are only out of a bin. I can actually buy a box of the galvanized at either Lowe's or Home Depot.

I may not have a steel place around, but I sure can find some 60d's!

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

One more thing. I know I'm a LONG, LONG, LONG way from being able to do anything with them, but where in the world can you buy 80d and 100d nails? I've shopped at probably 8 or 9 stores that sell nails, and I haven't seen these anywhere. Not that it's a pressing issue right now, but I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

Justin:

I've only got my hands on the dark 60d ,out of a bin, so I couldn't help you with your first question.

As far as 80d and 100d nails go, I've only found one store that stocks them. The name of the store is "Orscheln Farm & Home". The only one in existence to my knowledge. They have Farm supplies, hardware, tools, pet supplies, clothing, automotive, hunting, fishing etc.....

Check your phone books yellow pages under " Farm Supplies".

Hopefully this will help or give you an idea.

Later, Jason

"The dark ones are only out of a bin."

These sound like the same 60ds that I get here, a good 60d nail a little tougher than a blue. Once you can bend 4-5 of these in a workout you should be able to hit a 6" G5. I think the lowes ones will be easier. You should be able to work up to these with just cut lengths of 1/4" round.

The home depot near me has some galvanized 120 and 100 penny nails that I can U (braced of course) and TSC has some tough dark 120s that I am still working on...

The hardest one's I've ever tried were a dull gray. I've bought a ton of them before I realized how hard they were. They're close to a grade 8 in strength. I know a few people have harder 60's. Old mom 'n' pops style hardware stores (the kind were old men still hang out and play checkers) are great places to find nails of all sizes.

Go ahead and buy the ACE ones, sounds like you'll be tearing through them soon.

On a side note, I also have some 60d's that are between G5 and G8. Very inconsistent nails.

Ive mainly had experience with bending the galvanized 60ds or the bright ones.

But i can definitly say that i do not enjoy buying nails or other grip equipment from the Big chain stores and that small , out of the way , hardware stores - passed down through the family, are the way to go. cheaper and better service.

Plus the big stores usually never have higher than 60d, in my experience.