Cuting Thick Steel

AP

What do you guys use to cut thick steel, like 3/8" and thicker? I have been thinking about getting an angle grinder like recomended in the coiling article. There's a cheap one at home depot $30 for a 4" angle grinder, is this going to be tough enough to cut 5/8" or 3/4" thick steel? If I got one i would buy eye protection too but would I have sparks and pieces of metal flying all over the place? I don't have a garage so this has got to be clean enough to do outside or on my deck, a little bit is fine but it can't look like war zone out there...

What do you guys use to cut thick steel, like 3/8" and thicker? I have been thinking about getting an angle grinder like recomended in the coiling article. There's a cheap one at home depot $30 for a 4" angle grinder, is this going to be tough enough to cut 5/8" or 3/4" thick steel? If I got one i would buy eye protection too but would I have sparks and pieces of metal flying all over the place? I don't have a garage so this has got to be clean enough to do outside or on my deck, a little bit is fine but it can't look like war zone out there...

i bought one from wallmart with a 4 year guarantee and buy some thin metal cutting blades there as thick as a quarter i cut through 2 inch round stock in just under 2 minutes and the blade didn't show any ware at all it is going to make sparks and some dust but as long as you sweep it up the small sparks of steel won't rust when it rains and put on eye protection :D

Well - a chop saw is best as the steel gets thicker, and especially if you ever plan to cut tubular stock etc and want square ends to weld to etc - I mean that's what they are for. A Sawsall will work and so will an angle grinder but buy a 4 1/2" angle grinder instead of 4", usually more disks available. Any time you "grind" your way thru steel, it's gonna throw hot metal pieces all over the place - not much of a way around that. I use my chop saw on the sidewalk and just sweep when I'm done - no big deal. Then use the angle grinder to smooth the ends a little.

Chris is right. For tubing definitly use the chop saw.

Dan is right as well about getting metal cutting blades.

I use an angle grinder with cutting blades because I'm cutting steel rods not tubing.

You may want to use gloves as well. The steel can get hot around the area you cut.

Good luck.

-HH

Take your hacksaw, wrap the handle in 3" of athletic tape, and get a workout in!

But to more properly answer your question, an angle grinder with cutoff disks will be fine for your situation.