American coming to Brit grip champs

David Horne

Just a quick post to tell you that I've had confirmation today that two americans are coming to this years British Grip Champs. We're really delighted about this and will be giving them as much information/help as they require. One of them is Brian Carlton who comes on the grippage under the name bseedot. So I hope you all get behind these men, and I hope they do there very best.

David

Guest 115-1005574997

Great news that Brian and his friend are coming over to Stafford on 3rd August.  Its always good to meet board members IRL and even better to welcome 'international' competitors.  

Excellent news all round

Great News! Looking forward to meeting you Brian.  

What do you think of the events Brian?

Hi Jim.  I've never seriously trained any of the events, except the 2-hand plate pinch, so I likely have my work cut out for me to be prepared for August.  Plenty of time though...  I also have the Hardgainer issue in which David explicitly explains everything one would want to know about the 1" V-bar lift and I have the first IronGrip issue which explains the tabletop wrist curl.  Those two articles should help quite a bit.

Frankly, I'm still having trouble picturing the hammer curl in my mind.  Hopefully it's as straightforward as I'm picturing it.  I've eMailed David some questions about it so I'll refrain from further comments until I get a better grasp of the movement.

All in all, I think that the events are pretty good (I sure wouldn't sit on a plane for 14 hours if I didn't like them  ;) )

BC.

Sorry to go slightly of topic but could someone give me the details of the comp or point me in the right direction where I can find the details.

Thanks  :D

I was just asked how many competitors there will be in this years champs, and after a quick tot-up I think there will be about 30+ competitiors. Of which some 10-11 will be in the Open catagory, these include quite a few CoC's. Looks like it will be a hot contest, and I'm not talking about the weather this time!!

David

Guest Marso2

David,

Looking forward to it .. just sorry I can't make it for the nail bending comp.  SOunds as though you're gonna need to break out the spotlights for this years comp.

Brian,

Look forward to taking you out for a few pints when you get here.

Cheers

Ian

Guest 115-1005574997

Marso

Good idea to introduce Brian to a traditional pint of ale :)

With 30 competitors spread throughout 3 classes it should be excellent to compete in and be part of....mind you I think we may need to change the name to the international irongrip contest!! :)

Brian,

have you ever competed before?

I'm looking forward to a few pints as well, Ian  :D  Just don't try to get me tipsy the night before the contest  :crazy  Scott, I was in Kevin Fulton's Super Grip Challenge last September here in the States.  I competed in two small strongman contests last fall as well, but last fall was the first time I'd competed in any strength competition.

30 competitors is excellent, David!!!  I'm getting psyched up already!

BC.

Guest 115-1005574997

Brian

Saw the photos of the suppergrip comp and it looked well impressive!  Those 3" handle deadlifts looked awsome.

I think your going to enjoy yourself on the 3rd August as we are a freiendly bunch (just watch those scally scousers, the Marsland brothers) :)  Staffords also quite a fun place, just make sure Dave takes you on the tour of the castle and traditional food at the Rose of Kasmir! :)

Its always good to meet board members IRL and Im REALLY looking forward to it myself now :)

Guest Marso2

David,

Any chance of an update as to who's attending this year?

Steve,

Remember to bring some food this year :) .. is Alan coming with you?

Cheers

Ian

There is a lot of interest. Names from the past, new names, CoC's, and competitors from abroad. When I have a more of a definite list I'll post it up. Just train hard!

David

Guest 115-1005574997

Looking forward to that Dave

I hear there will be an indepth interview with Richard Sorin in the next issue.  That will be worth a subscription in itself! :)

Hows the preparations going for the nail bending championships?

I'm glad you think so. I think the interview is very good. Preperation for the nail bending champs is going ok. But, I'm really looking forward to this years grip champs, and for anyone thinking of coming to compete or enter, the atmosphere is very friendly, so you should have a good time.

David

Just to let the americans know, that Brian Carlton (bseedot) has decided to compete in the open class. I applaud him, and I think he will do well. He will definitely have a fun time.

David