gaining grip strength and age

aeroman

This is my first post, so please bear with me.  I am assuming that most people who progress quickly, or progress at all, in grip strength have worked with their hands in some sort of manual labor for a long time before specializing in grip work.  Are any of you normal sized people that have never done much hard physical labor making steady gains, and if so, how?

Also, is there an age range where a person can expect to level off in their progress?  For background, I am 37 and have been trying to work up to the #2 for two years.  I could barely do the trainer when I first bought it.  My athletic background is in aerobic sports (running and bicycle racing).

Any help is appreciated.  From all I've read here you guys really seem to know what you're talking about.

Guest omniexist

I have not done much manual labor, and i have never realy been what you would call strong. But i seem to be makeing good gains with strapholds and timed holds. By good gains i meen it took me about 2 mounths to close the COC#2. When i started witch was Jan. 2002 i could not even close the COC#1.

Hang in there!  It took me a few years to figure out what worked best for me, but now at age 53, I'm making better progress than ever.  Part of it is learning to stay healthy, and part of it is finding good advice that you can use.  The Grip Board is visited by a lot of experts who are willing to share their experience, no charge, and a lot of it has helped me.  Keep working, you've got plenty of time ahead of you, and lots of people willing to help and encourage you.

Age and previous experience are no barriers. I'm 38 in August and David Horne (prob the best all rounder, for now he he) will be 42 this year.

Re the level your are at: There are muscles in the body, to half/miss-quote Arthur Jones, which have the capacity to double or even treble their strength. Your calves are one set, the forearms and there-by the grip is another

Guest Old Guy

You inspired me just with your question by reminding me of the struggle.  I do not do heavy manual labor with my hands.  It helps, though - my dad had a very strong trip from spinning wrenches as a millwright in a steel mill.  I started at age 50 (I am 54 now) with the COC #1.  First time I tried it, I thought I got myself stress fractures in my strong hand!  Man, it was brutal.  It took 8 months to close the #1 and about another year to close the #2.  I had to buy the trainer for my left hand because I couldn't close the #1 enough with it to get any kind of training.  I worked up to pinching a pair of 25 pound plates (and close to the 35's), 140 on the Rolling Thunder and a 320# one hand deadlift.

Can't do these now since I laid off for a year because of coronoary heart disease.  Am back on track now and things are moving up.

The best suggestion for me (of many great suggestions I have seen on this board) is to do holds for time and let them slide out in a negative when you just can't hang on anymore.  Get real mean and ferocious when you do this.  My hands hurt (good hurt) and my forearms feel weak the next day when I do this right.  Once every four days seems to work well for me but I seem to need more recovery time than the kids and than others my age.

Hope this helps.  Keep us posted.

I started grip work in December 2000 at age 38. My best was 5 reps with the #1. I am now 39 and can close the BBM. I plan to close the #3 sometime within the next twelve months.

Never give up, it's never too late.

Throw that bullsh*t about being "too old" away!!  For the record, I am 37 and I seem to get stronger the more I train!  Age is no barrier.  Look at Kinney.  He started when he was 38.  TRAIN HARD!  That's the secret, my friend.  Like Joe says, "Ya gotta make it happen".  If your goal is to close the #3, train hard and stay focused.  I've never done a day's worth of hard manual labor, but I've always been grip strong, and I set my sights on closing the #3.  :)

Bottom line:  If it can happen for me - it can happen for you!

Thank you all for the enthusiastic replies!  Now I am more motivated than ever!  Tonight I was able to hold the #2  withing a 1/4 inch of being shut, in a negative, for about 15 seconds with the only thing on my mind being determination.  I had that "good" pain afterwards.  I will keep you posted.

aeroman,

Cheat it shut if ya can (press it against your leg, and close it).  Declare WAR on that gripper!!  Remember.... if there's a will there's a way - and that gripper will LOSE - to you!!   :D

Contact us when you achieve VG Day (er, that's 'Victory Over Gripper')!!   :p

Sounds of Dam Busters theme tune to Syber et al humming along as a deep voice states the name of yet another grip mad fiend, the date and the gripper all the while flag waving fans mark 'Victory over Gripper' day. What an image!! GREAT!!

Age makes a huge difference , especially with recovery time. Having said that you can get stronger at any age. I am 52. I know what it is like to be 52. If you are 38 you only know what it is like to be 38.

If you're 52, and think like you're 152.... then you have a problem.

I've never - repeat, NEVER thought of my true age as a hindrance.  Neither should you.  My advice to you, Grandpa, is to get your a** off the rocking chair, chuck that sucker into the fire, and find something - ANYTHING - to get you inspired again!!  I don't care WHAT it is; it's out there, find it.  You're only as old as you feel.  So don't sell that crap to me because I'm NOT buying it!!!!!   :angry:

As for longer recovery time - o.k., I'll give you that one.  But are you going to let that interfere with your goals in life, especially when it comes to improving your physical strength?  I hope not.  Injuries take longer to heal when your older - but they do heal.  Take that into account and move on.  If you're that concerned about injuries affecting you - get back into that rocking chair and wait for the grim reaper.

I think you need to calm down. You have had 37 years of experience I have had 52. I train very hard and not just grip and Grippers. I have closed the #3 many times. I have also lifted over 200# on the Rolling Thunder cleared the floor with 186# with a dumbbell that has a 2 3/8'' handle. Benched well over 300 # deadlifted 565# and squatted over 400# all done recently. I have been training for as long as you have been born. I am more than qualified to talk about the changes that come about with age. Changes that happen even to people that have worked out most of their life. As I said before you can makes gains at any age, and recovery time increases as you get older. I made no reference to injury. I have no training related injuries as I know very well what I am doing.

Guest baldy

Snott, do you even read people's entire posts or do you just pick out one sentence, huff some paint, and fly off the deep end?

OldGuy (the 52 year old one) - great lifts / grip feats, keep up the good work! If I make it to 52 I hope I can do such things. Actually, I wish I could do those things now... I'm especially impressed with the powerlifts and the thick bar / RT poundages.

Guest Euclid

I thought strength levels didn't really peak until you were in your 30's-50's.  Doesn't strength mature with age to a certain extent?  The Ironmind catalog has that picture of Odd Haugen attemting a 170 kg clean & jerk on a 2" bar.  He said on World's Strongest Man that he's stronger now than he'd ever been when he was much younger.

I might of jumped at the bit on that last one.  It's just that I'm sick and tired of guys who complain about training INSTEAD of actually training.  You can make excuses, or make gains... but you can't make both!  Oldguy, I'm not discounting you in any way - I may have read it the wrong way, and I went off the deep end.  Sorry about that!   :)

BTW.... have you become certified yet on the #3?  If not,  when?