Block Weights!

Justin Reagan

It may have been expensive, but I finally bought a 55 lb hex DB and cut it up. I've vowed that if (actually, when) I buy another, it will be somewhere that charges less than 65 cents/lb. But, anyways, those things feel great! I deadlifted it for 20 singles with each hand. I couldn't do much else with it, though (yet...).

Justin Reagan

Try passing it from hand to hand, then from hand to hand around your back, then work to tiny releases between passes.... then eventually toss that mofo! :cool

Is there an alternative to individual block weights. Like a good size block weight to use and add weight to? I wanna start training them as well but dont feel like paying a ton of $$$$ for all of them.

Dude,

Get one that you can't quite lift yet, and work to lift it. Once you're able to lift it, you can tape on extra weight (small 2.5 pound plates) with duct tape, or tie a small plate on each end of a string and drape that across the top of the blob and then lift it. You can also do tosses and cleans and such.

At some point you'll only get so much out of lifting that block, though, because as much weight as you add on, it won't get any wider. The heavier blocks are insanely wide, which makes them real tough.

You can also use industrial strength velcro to hold 2.5lb and 5lb weights to the bottom that way you can interchange the weights without having to remove and add tape. The industrial strength velcro EASILY holds a 5lb weight.

There's a wide range of progression you can achieve with a single block:

In order from easiest to hardest, IMO:

1. Assisted / Deloaded negative

2. Lockout from bench

3. Deadlift from ground

4. Pass from hand to hand

5. Curl it

6. Toss from hand to hand

7. Release and catch with one hand

8. Toss so it flips over once, catch with opposite hand

9. Toss so it flips over once, catch with same hand

Slick the block up with some sweat and no chalk and you can make it even harder, all without adding weight.