Forearm Bar

Scott Styles

Saw this one in my google ads today, I thought it was hilarious:

http://www.monsterbars.com/forearm_bar_006.htm

"If you are currently using the barbell method, rolling up a weighted rope, using a tension controlled device or dumbells to develop your forearms your working with 50-60% efficiency."

I'd love to know more about this "barbell method". And somehow that demo pic just makes me feel like the forearm bar would make me more manly. I just can't quite get my hands wrapped around why.

Well I've just put that on top of my "shit I don't need" list.

OMG...that's like something off "the Onion" or something. Look at that guys arms in the first picture! And the funny thing is...I would put money on the fact that he can't even crush a COC#1.

I believe the bicep curl video is a new addition to that site. It doesn't appear to drastically different than an easy-curl bar, and I'm sure that most of us would require a lot more weight than the guy in the video.

I still think their moster bar is the shit !

Monster Bar

Looks like a big piece of clutter to jam up 1/4 of my weight room.

Edited by Darco

Personally I think it could be valuable tool to add some variety to my workouts. It might work OK.

I don't like to trash talk ANY equipment unless I've tried it myself so I KNOW it's crap. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's GODs gift to forearm/grip trainees but if you haven't had a go yourself......

I might make one to see how it works. Edit. I'm talking about the forearm bar NOT the Monster bar!!

Claes

Edited by Mr.Moose

Oh, I'm not trashing the equipment. It looks like an easy bar with the weight loaded in the middle. Using a pulley attached to a ez bar style handle would probably be better, but whatever. I'm sure it's fine.

What's funny is the phalic symbolism of the advertising. It's like whoever made the website took marketing 101 then decided they knew all there is to know about making ad copy. Seriously, who is going to stand around in a public gym using a piece of equipment like in that second link? It's like scene out of Austin Powers.

Oh, I'm not trashing the equipment.  It looks like an easy bar with the weight loaded in the middle.  Using a pulley attached to a ez bar style handle would probably be better, but whatever.  I'm sure it's fine.

So what's the difference between that thing and the FORMULATOR? :mellow

I'm pretty sure when you do reverse wrist curls with that thing your thumbs are still bearing the brunt of the force from the weight. The big selling point for the formulator is that it enables you to bear the load on the back of your hand, removing the fingers as a weak point when training the wrist extensors.

The big selling point for the formulator is that it enables you to bear the load on the back of your hand, removing the fingers as a weak point when training the wrist extensors.

Scott, I have now seen video of both pieces of equipment (thanks to Wanna), and now I understand what the big deal is. I see a FORMULATOR coming to me in the near future! :)

• 4 months later...

I made my own forearm bar with a minor modification or two. I like it.

Moderator edit: Edited for link giving instructions to makeing knockoffs of unique equipment.

I wouldn't knock it without at least giving it a try. Just looking at it - it has angled handles that should take some stress off your wrists and elbows - it has an extended angled weight bar to keep leverage somewhat constant - it really doesn't "look" that bad to me. Inovation is a good thing at times and for every big hit - there will be quite a few less than hits.

Moderator edit: Edited for link giving instructions to makeing knockoffs of unique equipment.

where do you feel it most?

how does it compare to other forearm exercises?

moderator,

don't want to duplicate it--interested in buying it---i would like some actual(user) feed back first---despite the previous criticism of the implement---looks interesting--

----quite ez to make ANY of these grip implements--

where do you feel it most?

how does it compare to other forearm exercises?

moderator,

don't want to duplicate it--interested in buying it---i would like some actual(user) feed back first---despite the previous criticism of the implement---looks interesting--

----quite ez to make ANY of these grip implements--

The link was not necessarily edited out for this particular implement, but for other equipment shown.

Well, as long as it wasn't my forearm bar that was the cause for edit I'll discuss it further. First, I made a minor but significant change. For the palms down (extensor exercise) position, mine is similar. But I put in a joint to change the angle for the palms up (flexor). I actually stood up and considered at what angle my hand/wrist was most comfortable when exercising. For palms down, I decided an inverted V was most comfortable. For palms up, a regular V. Thus my forearm bar looks like a flattened W, sort of like an EZ curl bar. I actually considered modifying an EZ curl bar but didn't have one at the time. I'll leave the exact angles out.

Anyway, it is an effect similar to a barbell wrist curl but without the wrist strain. Sort of the difference between doing a straight bar curl and using an EZ curl bar curl. This allows me to really hit the forearm muscles. I've not used an actual formulator but an apparent difference is that the forearm bar (mine or the commercial one) requires grip to hold the bar. As I am interested in developing my grip I feel this is a good thing. If forearm exercise without grip limitations is what you're after then the formulator might be better.

I apologize if my post violated forum rules. That was not my intent and I'll try to be more cognizant of this sort of thing in the future.

Edited by perrymk

. Inovation is a good thing at times and for every big hit - there will be quite a few less than hits.

nice to see someone being creative and inventive----

I've welded up and cut apart more than one thing over the years to get it where I wanted it. I'm quite sure the Formulator, EZ curl bar, and probably every bench and machine we use today, all went thru more than one design change before they decided they had it right.