Mark Your Calendars, Sickos.

Clay Edgin

Alright you sick bastards, listen up.

I promised to put on a grip comp out here in the desert this year and I am going to follow through. The tentative date is December 10th and it will be in Rio Rancho, New Mexico which is just outside of Albuquerque. Here's the rundown of events for both comps:

Strongman comp:

*Tire flip medley (3 flips each) Masters, LW, MW, HW men: 500, 800, 1000 (exact weight of 1000lb tire to be determined after acquisition) Women: 300, 500, 800.

*Log clean and press - Men: 220lbs clean and press each rep. Women will do 100lb 2" thick axle clean and press each rep

*2" Farmer’s walk - 100ft. Women 100 per hand, LW Men 210, MW and Masters 250 per hand, HW 300 per hand.

*Yoke/Sled Medley 50ft - Women 350 yoke/100lb sled. LW Men 500/150, MW 600/200, HW 700/250

*Atlas stones - 5 stones loaded 48". Stones will range from 180-350 for LW & MW Men, and 230-400 for HW Men and 120-250 for women

As soon as the strongman contest is over, we head inside the gym to do the grip contest. Any strongman competitor gains free entry to the grip comp.

Grip Comp:

*Grippers - Max gripper close with both hands, similar to the way it is done in the Europeans. Each gripper will be assigned a number based on difficulty ranking and you get that many points for closing that gripper. Points for left + right will be added and then averaged for your final score. It's just like that contest Brian Carlton had last year.

*Two hand pinch - I'm trying to get a hold of a European pinch apparatus so accurate records can be kept. Competitors will choose one width from three choices and have to stick with that width from the beginning.

*Vertical bar - again, I'm trying to get a LGC replica vbar so we can compare records

*"Equalizer" lift - 2.5" thick steel rolling handle that spins on ball bearings, doesn't like chalk, and will humble you completely. Like a RT on steroids.

*One hand deadlift - using the European handle

Strongman contest will be sanctioned by NAS and will likely be Silver level once I get the paperwork processed and the sanctioning fee together.

What does silver level entail.

Looks a tough ass contest, boy.

-Jedd-

Looks good Clay. Raise the weight on the sled drag. If it a backwards drag and the weight is only 220, everyone will fly through it like a warm up. 400-600 is a solid range.

good luck man.

Edited by Dave Lemanczyk

With a Silver contest, I believe you get qualified for Nationals if you finish first in your class. I'll talk to Dione though and see about getting it Gold so more people can qualify.

Dave, the sled is a car tire with plywood on top and a loading pin screwed to it, and after field testing it we found that a handful of middleweights could barely finish with 200lbs. 250 for the heavies would be very difficult but doable. The friction of the rubber on the road is what makes it tough, and adding more weight increases the friction too. If it was a steel sled with runners on the bottom, I'd be going 400/500/600 with the weights!

Edited by ClayEdgin

Clay, will you be competing as well. Also do you have the weight classes in pounds? Thanks

With a Silver contest, I believe you get qualified for Nationals if you finish first in your class.  I'll talk to Dione though and see about getting it Gold so more people can qualify.

Dave, the sled is a car tire with plywood on top and a loading pin screwed to it, and after field testing it we found that a handful of middleweights could barely finish with 200lbs.  250 for the heavies would be very difficult but doable.  The friction of the rubber on the road is what makes it tough, and adding more weight increases the friction too.  If it was a steel sled with runners on the bottom, I'd be going 400/500/600 with the weights!

Hmmm......

I remember Clint had us drag his 450 tire X 50' @ The Bluegrass Strongman Challenge and that wasn't that bad unless you stopped, then the rubber melts to that part of the pavement and your screwed!

I would lvoe to see a picture of the implement if you could send it to me. Anything that can make training harder is appreciated.

leman@davidlemanczyk.com if you get a chance man. Thanx.

No problem Dave.

http://www.castledarkmoor.com/strongman/DSCN0084.JPG

I've pulled my 500lb tire too, and this sled with 250 on it is more difficult than the tire, especially since it doesn't let you use any momentum on the pull

Oh, and LW <200lbs, MW 201-265, and HW 265+

Edited by ClayEdgin

No problem Dave.

http://www.castledarkmoor.com/strongman/DSCN0084.JPG

I've pulled my 500lb tire too, and this sled with 250 on it is more difficult than the tire, especially since it doesn't let you use any momentum on the pull

Oh, and LW <200lbs, MW 201-265, and HW 265+

Amazing man. I always appreciate somehting like this. I hope I can come through with something for you in return. thanx man.

Update:

1) I've confirmed that I will be renting the Euro pinch apparatus, LGC vbar, and Euro one hand deadlift handle from the Diesel Crew. That means that we'll be able to compare meaningful records on the devices in the US and abroad. As a grip nerd, that is exciting news.

2) Still workin on sponsors to come up with some nice prizes to put into goodie bags.

3) Been in touch with an old friend about making trophies and he's going to get started soon I think.

4) Weight changes in strongman contest:

----A. Yoke/sled medley is 200/100 women, 500/150 LW Men & Masters, 575/200 MW Men, 650/250 HW Men.

----B. Women doing 90lbs on the axle for reps. LW and Masters Men doing 180lb wooden 12" log. MW and HW's doing 220lb steel log.

----C. Stones up to 380, not 400, for men

----D. Women's tires will be 300-400-500

5) Sanctioning fee being mailed to NAS first thing in the morning to make the contest Silver level.

6) The venue is perfect for the contest. We have more room than we'll need for the strongman contest with easy street access, lots of parking, and flat ground to compete on. The grip contest will be inside the gym's aerobic room which looks to be a 40x30 foot room. Lots of space!

7) First time competitors entry fee is $5, plus NAS Membership ($35). Existing members pay $30. Strongman competitors are free for grip contest, all others pay $20.

• 2 weeks later...

Fat Bastard Barbell Company, APT Pro Wrist Straps, Heavy Grips, and Defined Fitness have all agreed to help sponsor the event by providing stuff for the competitors. So far it's shaping up to be a really great event!

If you couldn't make it out to GGC, or even if you did and want to compete again, come out to Rio Rancho to try your hand (bad pun intended) at the European pinch apparatus, LGC vertical bar, and one hand deadlift handle. These are the exact same implements that were used in GGC last weekend. There should be some big numbers put up, and I am looking forward to having some meaningful results for recordkeeping purposes afterwards.

this contest looks TOUGH!

it will be exciting to see how it turns out.

Calibration Clay. Please use certified competition plates to calibrate the scale (used to weigh the plates) or take the plates to a post office and weigh them on a certified scale. Please do this before the competition so that possible WR's can be recognised as such straight away.

Sounds like a great competition.

Fat Bastard Barbell Company, APT Pro Wrist Straps, Heavy Grips, and Defined Fitness have all agreed to help sponsor the event by providing stuff for the competitors.  So far it's shaping up to be a really great event!

If you couldn't make it out to GGC, or even if you did and want to compete again, come out to Rio Rancho to try your hand (bad pun intended) at the European pinch apparatus, LGC vertical bar, and one hand deadlift handle.  These are the exact same implements that were used in GGC last weekend.  There should be some big numbers put up, and I am looking forward to having some meaningful results for recordkeeping purposes afterwards.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw your comment, Mikael. I may have access to real calibrated plates if I ask nicely enough.

Contest prep is going on schedule and without any hitches so far. Later last, I mailed out 97 announcements with entry forms to NAS Members in NM and surrounding states. The men's largest stone (375) has been finished (and loaded :) ) and the women's stones are being poured and borrowed to fill in the gaps. The men's largest tire (1050) has been acquired and because it doesn't have that much tread I have bolted 2x4's to the sidewalls to prop it up off the ground enough to get your hands underneath. The women's lightest tire (350) is also sitting on the side of my house. This one has pretty good tread and looks almost new.

For anyone interested in coming out, the venue is a short 30 minute hop (short because you can use highways and expressways to get here) from the Albuquerque airport. There is a Ramada Limited hotel right next door to the venue, and a Days Inn within walking distance. There is also a killer pizza place next to the gym and a hospital, so we have all our bases covered!

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the overhead event:

LW and Masters will do 170 on the axle

MW men do 180lb 12" wooden log

HW men do 225lb 12" steel log

Clean once, press for reps instead of clean and press each rep. I figure with the tire medley, yoke/sled medley, and stones there will be lots of huffing and puffing going on and I want to see some people get double digits on the press event.

Don't let the light weight of the sled fool you; it'll be a real good challenge. The friction of the tire on the ground will make the weight seem a lot heavier.

NM State Chair Warren Wylupski is the first person to turn in their entry form - don't let him run away with the 1st place trophy!

• 2 weeks later...

Entries so far:

Women:

Alexis Spanovich (NM)

Jeniffer Littleton (NM)

Masters:

Warren Wylupski (NM)

LW Men:

Bradley Schefield (AZ)

MW Men:

Travis Clary (NM)

Scott Porter (AZ)

Shawn Littleton (NM)

HW Men:

Clay Edgin (NM)

• 2 weeks later...

ntries so far:

Women:

Alexis Spanovich (NM)

Jeniffer Littleton (NM)

Shannon Moran (IL)

Masters:

Warren Wylupski (NM)

LW Men:

Bradley Schofield (AZ)

MW Men:

Travis Clary (NM)

Scott Porter (AZ)

Shawn Littleton (NM)

Chris Anderson (NM)

HW Men:

Clay Edgin (NM)

Nick Detman (IL)

Due to lack of interest, the grip contest has been scratched from the agenda.

Clay, you got to be kinding. i've already got my plane ticket for this grip comp. will you at least have the euro v-bar or deadlift handle around? i guess i could do the strongman if the deadline hasn't passed.

RKlein, I've been talking to a few more people about the grip contest being cancelled and they all said they wanted to do it. This was the first time I heard about it so it looks like there will be enough interest after all! I thought nobody was interested - it just turns out the people who I thought weren't interested just hadn't told me that they wanted to do it yet.

Entries for the strongman comp so far:

Women:

Alexis Spanovich (AZ)

Jeniffer Littleton (NM)

Shannon Moran (IL)

Teale Adelmann (NM)

Masters:

Warren Wylupski (NM)

Eddie Bustillos (CO)

LW Men:

MW Men:

Travis Clary (NM)

Scott Porter (AZ)

Bradley Schofield (AZ)

Shawn Littleton (NM)

Chris Anderson (NM)

HW Men:

Clay Edgin (NM)

Nick Detman (IL)

Brian Shaw (CO)

Bob Schubert (CO)

The strongman comp starts at 10 and I anticipate it taking 5 hours, including the time it takes to give out awards and tear down/clean up the event. So optimistically I'd say the grip comp will start at 3:30 or 4:00 at the latest and shouldn't last more than a few hours. Anyone who competed in the strongman comp gains free entry to compete in the grip comp. If you're interested in doing the strongman comp too, I can waive the late fee which would normally be applicable starting tomorrow. Just lemme know.