who here has closed a #3 and now is going for the

OldGuy

I am interested to know who out of the #3 closers certified or otherwise, are seriously training to close the #4. There have been many arguments about what is the best form of training to close grippers. Let the #4 wannabes state their training methods, and we will see who is the first to get there with their chosen training protocol.

I believe myself that Nick McKinless is correct when he sates, that only if you single mindedly focus on the #4 alone and train as if your life depended on it, will you succeed.

I have the #4 as a goal.  But, I have other goals too.  I was very inconsistent and having lackluster performances until I started pinching hard.  I have been working on my pinch grip and my crush has gotten better.  I don't think someone will have to totally neglect all other areas of grip strength.  If you loose open hand strength your sweep will go to #### in a handbag and there you sit.  

Another thing, people are so against specialization to the #4, why?  People close the #3 by doing nothing else.  People set pinch grip goals and look at nothing else.  People bend things with no other goals.  Why is working for the #4 with that as a goal, and putting most of your training in that mode so wrong?  If you want to be an all rounder go for it, if you want to be a bender go for it, if you want to work only grippers go for it.  My question is, why is working mainly crushing strength so wrong?

I am seriously training the #4. Besides the grippers, I am also working hard for bench press competitions. Since abandoning heavy squats+deads, I've got plenty of energy left for grip work.

My training plan is also experimental- I got where I am just by busting ass for PR's every week, and I have found that now I can only do that for 1-2 weeks at a time before I hit a wall.

Right now I am training as heavy as possible every week on one day using some sort of crush exercise- #3 for reps, #4, SuperGripper, and the hammerstrength grip machine. I'll probably alternate those every 2 weeks.

On a second day I will do some sort of pinch or support exercise- Right now I am messing with plate pinches, hub pinches, and rolling thunder work.

On top of this, I am doing wrist curls and hammer curls specifically for forearm/grip. I also train my lats hard twice a week, and my grip also seems to get some work on some of the arm stuff I do.

On my first serious attempt on the #4 I have gotten within an inch. I'm going to try again in a month or so.

I myself am not training for the #4 and have never had the chance to try one. I might order one just to see for myself what you guys are up against.

You can't win with some people. If you specialize and succeed you will be told that that is all you can do. If you try many things people will tell you you need to focus on just one or you might fail at all of them ! Oh well.

Old Guy, I agree with you........

Hey, could Heath be the one I talked to on the phone this weekend?  Coooooould beeeee! ;)

WannaGrip.... you've yet to talk to me over the phone - and I'm one of your biggest fans!!  :p   :p

I was thinking about this VERY subject at work today (yeah, I was bored at work).  I specialize in working on my crushing abilities, since it's the one thing I'm very good at.  Oh, I do work on my pinching sometimes, and now I'm doing thick bar work.  But it's crushing where I excell.  ;)

I've decided to go for the #4.  First, I want to be able to close the BBE, and then I'll see how well I am progressing.  The machine I am using will be the one that got Kinney there - the SW.  The only thing that concerns me though is the extreme PAIN I'll haffta endure - THAT and monsterous weight!!!  If I can get to 200 pounds on it (without killing myself), I think I'll have as good a chance as anyone.   :)