Gripper Cleaning

diesel

I know that this issue was covered in a previous thread months ago, but i cannot for the life of me find it....

I have got lots of dead skin build up, and am wondering what would be best to remove it. I started using an old toothbrush to remove the chalk build up, but it doesn't do anything for the skin crap. Any suggestions?

I know that this issue was covered in a previous thread months ago, but i cannot for the life of me find it....

I have got lots of dead skin build up, and am wondering what would be best to remove it.  I started using an old toothbrush to remove the chalk build up, but it doesn't do anything for the skin crap.  Any suggestions?

I soak my grippers in some soapy water for half an hour or so. All skin and dirt comes off real easy. Remember to oil the spring afterwards, it start to rust VERY quick if you forget. I Know. :cry

Claes

I have got lots of dead skin build up, and am wondering what would be best to remove it.  I started using an old toothbrush to remove the chalk build up, but it doesn't do anything for the skin crap.  Any suggestions?

I soak my grippers in some soapy water for half an hour or so. All skin and dirt comes off real easy. Remember to oil the spring afterwards, it start to rust VERY quick if you forget. I Know. :cry

Claes

Great info. I use WD-40 on my springs. :D

Naval Jelly for aluminum is very good. You can purchase this at Home Depot

in the paint dept. Cameo for aluminum is good. Cameo is a powder.

You can buy this in supermarkets.

I use both, cleans handles like brand new and will not harm the handles. Be sure

to read the label instructions

I use a needle and rasp the handles with it :). Works well on coc gripper handles but it takes some time. I've never put any water on my grippers, afraid of rust.

I have used Comet cleanser with bleach and made it into a paste and cover the handles with the paste and let them set....Later on I rinse them off and dry them thoroughly..they shine like new.

If you get a fine steel wire brush..like at the Dollar stores..they have a package of 3. That will keep them clean a long time between cleanings.

what are your guys thoughts on using motor oil for the spring? (or am i way off here)

I have always used WD 40 or 3 in one penetrating oil. I prefer the 3 in one it is cleaner and doesn't seem to get gooey after awhile.

3 in one is also an excellent spring cleaner.

great thread, I was going to post soon to ask how people clean their gripper springs as mine have rusted. My g/f is getting sick of hearing the" eeekk eeek....eeek eeek....eeek eeek" when I do reps on the grippers, lol. Hopefully wd40 will solve this

I have used Comet cleanser with bleach and made it into a paste and cover the handles with the paste and let them set....Later on I rinse them off and dry them thoroughly..they shine like new.

Yeah but you have to be careful with bleach as it can cause some dangerous reactions with other chemicals.

I have always just used oil, soap and water, and a toothbrush. I think for some reason I tried rubbing alchohol, but I don't think it worked any better or worse than normal methods.

I used some degreeser that you would use for a grill and a very soft wire brush which is about the size of a toothbrush. That worked wonders. Also, oiled the springs after I was done.

pc

Regarding the re-greasing of the spring, any oil or grease should work. It's only there to prevent rust ( and squeeky sounds :D )

I use silicon grease, same as I use for my dive gear, stays on and prevents rust longer than thin oil.

Claes

I always wash my hands before using my grippers, so that there is no grease build up. I do the same before using my dumbells/barbells too.

I've found most of what clogs my grippers is the skin the knurling rubs off my hands as I'm using them. Washing my hands right before training softens my skin and only encourages this.

QUOTE(gunnaknow @ Aug 30 2005, 07:31 AM)

I always wash my hands before using my grippers, so that there is no grease build up. I do the same before using my dumbells/barbells too.

I've found most of what clogs my grippers is the skin the knurling rubs off my hands as I'm using them. Washing my hands right before training softens my skin and only encourages this.

very interesting :online

I've had my #1 for less than two months, so I haven't noticed much skin build up so far. However, I would prefer to have skin build up than greese build up. You can still train on grippers with skin build up, within reason but greesy grippers would be much harder to train with effeciently, so would need more regular washing.

Greesy grippers might also cause more skin build up because they slip around in the hand more. The skin would also be more likely to stick to the handles, instead of just flaking off. Another problem might be that some of the stuff that looks like skin could actually be chalk that has caked with the greese. Delicious!

Edited by gunnaknow

I've had my #1 for less than two months, so I haven't noticed much skin build up so far. However, I would prefer to have skin build up than greese build up. You can still train on grippers with skin build up, within reason but greesy grippers would be much harder to train with effeciently, so would need more regular washing.

Greesy grippers might also cause more skin build up because they slip around in the hand more. The skin would also be more likely to stick to the handles, instead of just flaking off. Another problem might be that some of the stuff that looks like skin could actually be chalk that has caked with the greese. Delicious!

actually, my case for my grippers was a bit...umm...nasty?! when doing KTA, i ended up with small holes in my pinkies. nasty holes where skin had ripped off, and doing the program day after day after day, it never healed up. it only got bigger and the hole got deeper. infected and nasty. (lunch, anyone?)

so my gripper handles had a mixture of both skin flakes and puss, making it rather raunchy to look at. at first i was like, whatever, i will worry about it later. but a couple of weeks ago it started to get really slick (and the yellowish color wasn't so attractive).

i am glad i put the post up though....i just used a soapy toothbrush to scrub away, and now they look great. i just to go out one of these days and oil up the springs (almost all of mine, except the HG's and one BB squeak).

Dude, there is such a thing as too much information. I think you crossed the line Diesel. 

hey the more information given, the better responses right....err...maybe not in this case :whacked:trout

Ironically....Diesel fuel is an excellent solvent.....