Wrist Roller Technique???

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

Gosh this sounds stupid but am I doing the roller properly. Here is the style I use, I alternate hands sort of like when one is rollin the other is reaching for the next bite. Is this the proper way? Or do both hands roll together and one holds while the other repositions and then waits for the other to reposition for the roll? Did I just confuse the #### out of everyone? I guess it could be simply summed is the rolls done one handed or two? Now a pinch technique question.... positioning of the thumb in reference to the other fingers. Should it be aligned straight across from the index, middle or what finger for maximum strength? Also should the fingers be straight? The reason I ask it seems as if I have seen pictures where the digits appear bent at the second joint from the tip of the finger. Is this just a result of a wide surface pinch? Just wondering.....

Guest liquidtheorems

I roll both hands at the same time and alternate which hand holds the roller for repositioning and the next roll.  This is the best way I've found of doing as I"ve also alternated hands and that just didn't work at all for me.  It depends though find which way gives you the best workout and gains and stick with that.  

Bob, fast approaching 5 45lb plates.  only 25 more pounds to go

Guest liquidtheorems

I think your right Jeff.  Alternating hands I can do a little over a hundred with a motorcycle rev movement.  wrist extension I think.  I use the double extension for the heavy weight.  with a flexion double hand I am around 135 or so and I haven't don't alternating flexion in a long time.  Correct me if I mixed up my terms.

Bob

Jeff..... alternate both hands one after the other, pulling using your wrist, then the other hand - you're twisting it like you would be wringing out a wet towel.  Hope this helps.  :)

Guest Jeff Roark

First off I am using One Wicked Wrist roller from Ironmind. It is knurled and I am not sure what it measures...maybe 2 inches or so. I set it up in a power rack at about shoulder height. Thanks for all the input guys. Last night I used both methods, both hands for the heavy stuff, alternating for the light work. I then moved into pinch work for some maximum holds with 2 25s.

On that note, man alot of you guys amaze me with the numbers you are doing on this stuff, Heath with crushing, Scott with pinching, David, Richard, Steve all around stuff. Also all the guys around here who just flat give it all to share with the rest of us. Thanks.

I myslf use a PDA type roller set at shoulder height in a power rack. I roll with alternate hands, both towards me, away from me and also with palms up and down. That makes 4 variations. I do 1 rep with each add 10 lbs. and keep going until it becomes too heavy.