Bar Bending Behind The Neck

HAMMERHEAD

hi hammerhead i have did 1/2 inch rebar at work with out really trying just because i was bored but never tried a max size . i'm just guessing it was about 3 feet long :D and i think it was after seeing bill kaz meer do one over his head in a old strongman contest

Dennis uses his neck as a brace- ouch!!! I'll bet not to many have tried this....... Hey Erik, you gonna be @ the GGC?

I've done a couple pieces of 4' by 1/2" HRR over my neck but the shorter stuff like dennis and some of them do is way different. My best 4' bend is 5/8" round but before I was finished I had it over and around several different body parts - under my leg - under my foot etc. Kind of fun once in a while but costly. I made a fish from 3' of 1/2" but not using my neck. That's the history of my attempts - maybe more of a short story.

In 2003, i worked down to a 16.25"x 1/2" HRS bar round the neck. I had to

stop because of an injury to my back from the pushing/pulling involved.

Earlier this year i tried some 1/2" square stock to see if i could still do it and

managed some S-bends with a metre and a U with a 20" piece.

I have to start the bend over my knee on shorter bends and then transfer to

the neck, to start cold from the neck for me was an injury waiting to happen!

Regards

Ray.

Now this was my first and only try at long bar bending so far, which was almost 3 foot in length and a small 1/2" diameter of square hrs steel I got for free at the Alaska Steel Company from the cutter.

I saw John Brookfield in one of his books bend a bar around the neck so that is how I figured it was done.

In all honesty this bar was really easy to bend around my neck but my goal was to form a fish but I could not find the best leverage point to apply my strength to finish it because as soon as I had those ends crossed when I let go it sprung back out. I plan on trying some more of this fun feat with thicker steel in the future but I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on some thick steel.

Here is my first bend, not so impressive but fun nonetheless. :happy

http://www.gripboard.com

GATOR :D

I fooled around with this about 8 months ago, I used standard 1/2" round stock and did a 28" and 21" piece behind the neck, didn't feel very good, with short bending only my hands get sore. "don't need any more stiff necks"

Thanks for responses guys.

I wouldn't recommend fishing any steel around the neck. You're looking for trouble here.

I tried this feat a few days ago and all I had was pieces of 1/2" round HRS, so I worked my way down ot 19". This was very tough and completly technique than with the longer pieces. Much harder on the neck and if you're not careful on the crushdown you could choke yourself out.

Ray-

In 2003, i worked down to a 16.25"x 1/2" HRS bar round the neck. I had to

stop because of an injury to my back from the pushing/pulling involved.

I noticed this is your first post. Tell us more. What's your backgorund? 16.25" x 1/2" is probably .... dare I say it?!?!?! "world class" HEHEHEHEHEHE. So great job!!

So please tell us, how the hell did you get into bar bending. Nobody does the long stuff!

-HH