Ironmind #4 gripper

lancep

I got the #3 closed and have moved on to the #4.  However I noticed that the angle when fully open is greater than any of the other grippers.  All the others seem to have a fully open angle that is identicle.  There seems to be a 5-10 degree difference with my #4.  Is everyone's like that or is mine out of spec?

Side note, what is the farthest anyone here has closed the #4???  Besides Kinney.......

Lance,

I got my grippers back from PDA after being seasoned and calibrated, and the thing I noticed is that the grippers that I like the best have an included angle of 30 degrees or less.  Now, I have grippers that have more than that - but I don't like them and they are difficult for me.  My #4 is a 32 degree which is not bad - I'd like it to be closer though.

My suggestion to you is to probably get a SOS gripper from PDA, and work with that.  Getting another gripper from IronMind is potluck - you don't know what you'll be getting.

Guest StrongerthanArne

And so is getting one from PDA if you go by the closing torque ip numbers. I have tried a 359 that I would rate as a 2.7 or something similar on a IM scale. Another at 338 was between a IM #1 and a IM #2. I was a mile away from closing the 359 left handed but could rep all day left handed with the 338. Most of you guys are ignoring the posting by those of us who have had access to quite a few calibrated PDA grippers (e.g. me, Pat and Heath) and have concluded that the closing ip number is unreliable as a guidance to closing difficulty which is what matters in the real world. You may get very disappointed. It would be better if PDA either sold their grippers with a complete torque curve sheet (probably too expensive) or uncalibrated at a given selection of wire sizes, maintaining the strict tolerances. Having said that it is unfortunate that IM can't get their act together and produce grippers with stricter tolerances. Equally long handles for example should be mandatory. One thing I would change on the PDA grippers would be the rounded off ends of the handles. Several people, including myself, have found that the IM grippers are less likely to squirm in the hand under load thanks to the sharper edges of the ends of the handles.

or uncalibrated at a given selection of wire sizes, maintaining the strict tolerances.

They basically do this now. You must not have checked out their web site lately.

If someone is really interested in closing a #4 (count me in that group) than one should train in the angle range or beyond that of most #4's.  While the closer handles of the PDA might feel more comfortable than other grippers, they will do little to train the "sweep" part of the close.  I got news for you guys, there's nothing comfortable about closing a #4, never will be.  There are no shortcuts, although I think Wannagrip is now realizing that it can be achieved with some SERIOUS effort and training above and beyond what most are willing to do.  That's how it should be.  

The #4 is not the automatic next step after a #3.  Just because you close a #3 once or twice, don't assume you will zoom in on the #4.  It's like saying, "well, he C&J'd 500, throw another 150 on the bar."   Respect the #4, or it will end your grip career.

For me, the 4 is a HUGE leap from the 3. Since my hands are small, the worst part about the gripper is getting it set- This is more of a battle than when I start to squeeze for real.

To help with this, I have come up with a new idea (new for me at least). I am going to training some of the grippers without specifically setting them, and hope that gets me a little stronger when setting the #4.

Bob, I also have small hands. You may have discovered that setting the gripper is less critical when squeezing a gripper in the inverted position. IM will not certify a closure with this method but it is still an effective variation for crush training. Setting the gripper may become easier as your pinch strength increases.

Thanks Barbender. Unfortunately, I can't close the grippers upside down for shit, but that is a good idea for another variation.

Already working on the pinch grip- I've been doing some plate pinches, and I'm starting with hub lifts soon.

Guest Gripintime

Bob,

John Brookfield had a Grip Tip ,similar to what you discuss, a couple of months ago.  It involved suspending a gripper on a string a little higher than your waist.  Point being that it doesn't give you time or capability to set.  I've never tried it, but might start to do it.  It must be hard.  John says that he only uses the CoC Trainer - for about 50 reps - when he does this.  Just spewing out what I read.

Good luck.