Bending

Mikael Siversson

1. David Hurzeler, Switzerland 6''

2. Frank Heinritzi, Germany 6'' (heavier than David)

3. Johan Albrektsson, Sweden 6'' (heavier than Frank [i think])

Steve got 6 1/2'' and Viktor 7''

There were some concerns before the competition that the steel used (8mm HRS) might be too soft but that was not the case. Some 8-10 hours of competition takes away some strength at the end.

Interesting approach to the "kink" event by Steve (i.e. not training it prior to the competition). Cost you a medal in the overall. :trout

There were some concerns before the competition that the steel used (8mm HRS) might be too soft but that was not the case. Some 8-10 hours of competition takes away some strength at the end.

Interesting approach to the "kink" event by Steve (i.e. not training it prior to the competition). Cost you a medal in the overall. :trout

Yes indeed, at least 9 hours competing took away my strength, especially in the full bend which normally isn't a problem.

Steves bending method is rather uncommon I think, but very impressive! But it seemed physiological factors prevented him from kinking shorter lengths to 60 degrees. Because all his attempts looked quite easy :bow But it still wasn't enough, so at his last attempt I said maybe he should try a bit longer nail and it obviously worked better, but I didn't know it was his last attempt since I wasn't really very concentrated anymore :laugh

It was a bit sad that all competitors couldn't get any score in bending though :( Not fun.

It was a bit sad that all competitors couldn't get any score in bending though :( Not fun.

I have wrists like a petite girl and I can bend and kink (to 60 degrees) a 5 3/4'' (5 1/4'' in full bend) of that steel (at least in practise), so 7'' is certainly not over the top for a European Championship.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I have wrists like a petite girl and I can bend and kink (to 60 degrees) a 5 3/4'' (5 1/4'' in full bend) of that steel (at least in practise), so 7'' is certainly not over the top for a European Championship.

What you or Arne can bend is not relevant.

So please explain to me why you don't have grippers ranked at 2,65, 75kgs 2handpinch, 115kg vbar or 212kg in one hand lift as minimum?

Getting maybe 6mm or 7mm stock can't be that hard.

Competing in the LGC is a privilege not a right.

Of course, but that still doesn't answer my question very clearly.

Yes it does.

Yes it does.

Yes but not very clearly. Or ok, it says that you do whatever you want and you choose whatever weights you want because it's your competition (you=you and Arne I think?)

I accept that, but I still think that easier bending stock would be a significant improvement to the competition.

I hope I haven't upset you do much with my "whining" :whistel

I have a question perhaps I am misunderstanding this.

Is the Best bend (done by 3 people) of 6" the same diameter and type bar as the entry level 7" bar?

This if true seems very odd to me. 3 of the 10 competitors were unable to bend the entry level bar. It would seem to me that the lowest level bar was not at a level that would provide a decent spread from lowest level to top bar bent. It would be like having the lowest gripper be a #3 and those that can't get it be awarded 0 points. There were plenty of people not getting above a #3 lefty. The spread from lowest gripper to highest gripper was rather large (a 2.05 to a BBSE at 3.89)

Greg

We want the Europeans to start training bending like you do in the US. By American standards that 7'' 8mm HRS would be considered an easy start.

A 6'' piece of this stock is comparable to a 6'' G5.

Basically, with a few notable exceptions, Europeans suck at bending.

I have a question perhaps I am misunderstanding this.

Is the Best bend (done by 3 people) of 6" the same diameter and type bar as the entry level 7" bar? 

This if true seems very odd to me.  3 of the 10 competitors were unable to bend the entry level bar.  It would seem to me that the lowest level bar was not at a level that would provide a decent spread from lowest level to top bar bent.  It would be like having the lowest gripper be a #3 and those that can't get it be awarded 0 points.  There were plenty of people not getting above a #3 lefty.   The spread from lowest gripper to highest gripper was rather large (a 2.05 to a BBSE at 3.89)

Greg

Also, remember that unlike competitions in the US, the Euro is limited to a maximum of 12 competitors. These are ment to be the very best of the best (in theory), whereas if it was an open competition for everyone, we would naturally provide weak bending stock as well.

Moreover, providing 6mm bending stocks to competitors that really should be strong in bending (this is a major championship after all) just adds another cost to Arne.

Edited by Mikael Siversson