Bending Progression From Blue To Red?

bogz

I can imagine it is quite hard, or more people would have done it by now.

I recently started bending with any intensity within the last week. Up until now, it was a pair of wash cloths and some small pieces of steel to bring to family / friend gatherings.

I have cut some Cold Rolled Steel (CRS) into the lengths that IronMind sells, and colored them the same.

I started last week with some IronMind pads, no chalk, and could get the white and greens pretty easy. I couldn't get the yellow though. I could kink it, but nothing of substance.

I started bending 2 whites at a time (me and my neighbor goofing around).

I got some hand chalk and put some on the IM pads, like many have said to do. I then rolled them up and gave a yellow a shot. It went quite easily. I couldn't believe it. That was Sunday night.

Last night, I knocked out another yellow. It took a few seconds, well under 10. I did about 5 more after that.

I didn't have any blue nails, so I cut down 3 yellow nails to 6". I bent them all readily as well.

I figured I'd try an even shorter one, so I cut a yellow down to 5". That one gave me some trouble. I would say it took 30-45 seconds to completely crush.

I was running out of time, so I didn't wrap up a red (7" x 5/16" CRS) and take a crack at it, though I am going to this evening.

So long story short, do people find the jump from shortened blue to red managable?

As for the stock I'm using, I wonder if it is hard enough. I certainly thought so before I chalked up, but now I'm curious. If I get a red bent (or even kinked), I may send a few out to people to see if it is comparable to the IronMind ones before buying them myself.

Thanks for any input!

Charley.

it is pretty tough, i havnt done it yet, close tho.

if u put a kink in the red equivalent youve cut, then ur stock is pretty tootin easy would be my bet.

get urself a bucket of 60d commons, a bunch of grade 5's and grade 8's to get to the red.

and lotsa CRS stock :)

when you can bend 2 yellows side by side... keep trying... when you can bench 2 blues side by side, now we are talking red material...

it takes a great time of hard work, dont over kill yourself or else you wont last long..

bend all your blues and greens... then all your yellows and blues, then get some 60'ds and then we shall start talking...

stay strong.

Thanks for the info.

I tried a red this evening. No kink :(

I was pretty fatigued though. I suppose I'll keep at it.

CRS is cheap and easy for me to come by, as is my chop saw with a metal cutting blade, so that isn't a problem.

Depends on what technique you use. If you master the Double Overhand at the shoulders and train hard you could do it fairly quickly. If you're going double underhand or reverse it'll be a good, long while. If you're going after it Slim style...well good luck :D

Assuming you're using good leather or suede wraps and you have decent upperbody strength, you'll be melting blues like Timber Ties as soon as you master the DO.

the RED never even kinked for me until I was able to do 5" G5's and 6.5" G8's easily. also I used 7" HRS 5/16ths to keep in the 7" bending groove, I found even 1/2" differance in lenght is a huge change in the groove.

I figured I'd try an even shorter one, so I cut a yellow down to 5".  That one gave me some trouble.  I would say it took 30-45 seconds to completely crush.

I was running out of time, so I didn't wrap up a red (7" x 5/16" CRS) and take a crack at it, though I am going to this evening.

So long story short, do people find the jump from shortened blue to red managable?

Thanks for any input!

Charley.

The jump be tween 1/4 and 5/16 stock is hughe, you bridge the gap by bending grade 5 bolts, 1/4 square and 5/16 hrs and 5/16 zinc coated steel. It is most likely you will just hurt yourself if you try 5/16 7" crs, Your hands and wrists are certainly not ready for the force youll be puting on them bending red's, dont rush bending, it is the stupidest thing you can do, I got lucky and didnt hurt myself. dont take the same chance and be patient.

Go and get some grade 5 1/4 thick 6" long hex cap bolts and if you can bend those easily go get some 60d's and do som sort of volume sesson.

You will also want to buy a 8lb sledge hammer.

Just remember bending isnt somthing that happens in a week, i bent my first red nail within 69?? i think days after starting, and this is considered extremly fast...

Edited by Oldtime