I Tested Some Nails And Steel...

Justin Reagan

I was really curious as to the strengths of some of my bending materials. I did it by hanging weight in the middle and pulling up on the ends until there is a really good bend (not quite a 90 degree bend). This is how it ended up:

16d finishing: 65 lbs

5" x 3/16" zinc plated steel: 135 lbs

20d common: 205 lbs

30d common: 215 lbs

40d common: 250 lbs

Home depot timber tie: 180 lbs

1st Ace hardware timber tie: 210 lbs

2nd Ace hardware timber tie (out of same bin--has much tighter spirals): 275 lbs

6" x 1/4" HRS: 275 lbs (I knew it took a lot out of me to bend even one piece of this... Later on I'm going to test my easier HRS)

Here's the big one:

Really dark colored 60d common: 350 lbs

No wonder I can only put a very slight wobble in one of these. It's a monster!!!

After the 60d, I was too tired to do any more. I'm going to test the rest in the next few days. I know it's probably a really inaccurate way of testing, but at least it gives me some idea.

Justin Reagan

that's a workout in itself, maybe support the ends of the nail on a couple strong benches or tables then hang the weight in the middle, that would save you having to lift it every time???

What kind of 60Ds were you using? I've gone to a few diff Home Depots and it seems I get different kinds. The most recent 60Ds are dirty dull and then flake off after 90 degrees to expose the shiny metal. Anyone test any of these varying home depot 60Ds to find out which are the hardest?

rig something up so u load the weight and the nail tips are hangle the end of a piece of wood

then u push a lever or something and it raises the wood, raising the weight off the ground iono

The 60d's that I tested were from a local hardware store. They are really dull looking. I do have some 60d bright commons that I got from Ace hardware that I can put a noticeable kink in.

Justin Reagan

What kind of 60Ds were you using? I've gone to a few diff Home Depots and it seems I get different kinds. The most recent 60Ds are dirty dull and then flake off after 90 degrees to expose the shiny metal. Anyone test any of these varying home depot 60Ds to find out which are the hardest?

you say they flake off after 90d sounds more like a galvanized nail.