Thinking About Hub Lifts

patrick

I have corresponded with Randy Strossen before on the design of the IronMind Hub. It is not patterned after any particular version of York 45s, as there are old ones that evolved and changed over the years. There are a number of deep versions out there. It is a device that stands on its own, and it was inspired by the feat that guys in yesteryear used to do on York plates.

That being said, in general, grip guys are better on plate hubs than they are on the IronMind Hub. For some reason, I personally am not. On the IronMind Hub, 50 pounds(including the device) is a very respectable weight. It takes a little getting used to, and once you do get used to it, your lift jumps up around 10 pounds. Maybe a #3 closer does 37 1/2 pounds on it, works it a little, gets his technique down, and boom, he does around 50 within a month. By the time you get to 60 pounds, the herd is pretty well thinned. This device has a very slick, not flat, painted surface, and that seems to be the great equalizer, similar to a muddy football field. Heavy chalk is a good thing on this particular device.

Clay Edgin had some 45 plates with some deep hubs. He could snatch it, but I could not clean it. Dan Cenidoza, in June, easily lifted a York 45 in a parking lot, and I could only get one side up. I put the plate on the IronMind device, and he could not lift it, but I easily could.

At a contest in Northridge Ca in March of 2004, Odd Haugen was loading the device. It was 25 pounds of plates for a total weight of 30. It was the opening weight in the competition. He was the referee. I personally saw him tug on it and fail. That tells me he never touched it before.

I hope I have not bored you guys, but there is a reason I go by the name

Hubgeezer

Thank you Hubgeezer, that was quite well written.

I guess I'm in the group that performs a bit better with the real thing. I don't have access to any plates with suitable hubs, but at a GTG in April I very easily cleaned and also deadlifted with my thumb and index finger a 25 pound plate by the hub. That lift is nothing to write home about, but I had never even done 25 on the IM Hub at that point.

Then I pulled a 45 pound plate off the floor by the hub. Not a full lockout lift or even close, but there's no way in a 100 years I'd get close to that weight on the IM Hub.

I've been hoping to get a chance on an ironmind to see the difference. I like to do alot of hub work and have gotten pretty good on plates but want to see what can be done on an IM. I've found on the plates doing timed holds for 30 sec with 35 or 45 depending how good I feel that day and doing tosses really jump my hub holds.

I cant get used to the IM hub.. Ive done quite a few 45lb plates but 35lbs on the IM hub has only gone once. The paint is definatly a killer.

So when I start on the Ironmind hub what should I expext to be able to handle at first.

The only person who knows the true answer to that is you.

Just make sure that if you set a world record that you get pics on how you did it. lol

Good luck with it give it a try and let us know and I wouldn't worry about pics if you know you can do it thats all that matters. If someone gives you shit just do it agian for them cause if you can do it ounce you can doit agian. ;)

So when I start on the Ironmind hub what should I expext to be able to handle at first.

The only person who knows the true answer to that is you.

Just make sure that if you set a world record that you get pics on how you did it. lol

Yes, I agree with all of that. But since I pride myself on being a psychic, here goes. After struggling for a few minutes on your first session, and after you get 35 in plates, you will get 45 in plates, unless you are using the "big pin" by IronMind, in which case you will do 42 1/2 in plates.

If you do more than that on your first session, let us know, so we can all get excited.

Hubgeezer

Yes, I agree with all of that. But since I pride myself on being a psychic, here goes. After struggling for a few minutes on your first session, and after you get 35 in plates, you will get 45 in plates, unless you are using the "big pin" by IronMind, in which case you will do 42 1/2 in plates.

If you do more than that on your first session, let us know, so we can all get excited.

Hubgeezer

Hey Hubgeezer,

You should try my 55 pound Marcy bumper plate. I can totally destroy it right handed, but my left hand? Doesn't happen. That's strange.... :mellow

Just a question I've been wondering is anybody doing the shallow plates.The ones with a regular wide hub and only about 1"to3/4" deep.