Bent Im Green Nail Trouble With Yellow Nail

Cbel413

Hi,

I'm able to bend the IM Green Nail but can't budge the Yellow nail :angry: . Is there a nail in between these two that I can use for a progression. I normally bend 1 day on and 2 days off. I bend at least 9 nails a session. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Chris

Buy timber ties at a hardware store, Home Depot or Lowes. They're spiral 60D nails, you can pick up a 5lb box pretty cheap. They were the perfect 'tweener for me after a 5" green.

Search around for 'yellow nail' and you'll find plenty of advice threads, timber ties got me to the yellow pretty quick.

Also, buy stuff to bend like 1/4" and 5/16" threaded rod, Aluminum, Brass, whatever you can find. Buy 1/4" round, its usually easier than what Ironmind sell. You may already be able to bend certain varities of 1/4" round, especially at 8".

(Invest in bolt cutters, you can get a pair between 10-20 bucks on Ebay including shipping if you look around)

Best of luck, enjoy!

Chris: Here is my bending history and what helped me get to where I am, maybe you can get something out of it.

Started 3 weeks ago. I Couldn't bend 6x3/16 HRS I had to start with an 8" piece. Sad but true.. The problem was my technique and wrapping, or lack of.

I'm still trying different options of wrapping material.

Thats when I found an article by Greg Amidon & Dave Morton titled "Un-Braced Bending" at www.dieselcrew.com . Lots of great training tips. Also some other great articles there. I was then able to bend everything from 8" down to 4" HRS and CRS. Also did 2 pieces of 5" CRS at same time.

All Overhand (OH)

I then went to the 1/4" HRS and I stalled there for awhile. I then found Big Steve McGranahans web site at www.heavenbent.net . And ordered his 2 DVDs.

WOW!!! they are awesome, I highly recommend. If I hadn't watched Big Steve do all of those feats I wouldn't believe they were possible, he is amazing. After watching those I killed 7x1/4 HRS.

All Underhand (UH).

Last week I got 3 of the 7" pieces OH & UH.

I was able to get A 6x1/4 HRS last week also, that was VERY HARD. I'll try CRS soon. I'm gonna also try the Timber Ties next time I find some.

I'm trying to master each size in UH & OH, before moving on to the next size or strength. Doing both UH & OH seems to help me in progressing. Could just be a mental thing.

I also do Leverage work with a Sledge, it helps alot.

Also check out Eric "Bender" Godfreys website at www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/home.html . Great website it helped me alot. Also lots of pics and great training tips. I'm still trying his bending style, its hard.

I hope you can find some help in my post. If not, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks to Greg Amidon, Dave Morton, Steve McGranahan, Eric Godfrey and every other member of the Gripboard, I'm on the way to the Red Nail and beyond.

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it. I'll go get some timber ties this weekend at home depot. I also checkout the websites they sound interesting. Is my routine okay as far as doing 1 day on and 2 days off?? Should I increaase the amount of volume I do or stay at bending approxiamately 9 nails a session???

Thanks for al the help!!!!

Chris

Depending on how often you bend. Always cycle how many you bend. Some days more, other days less.. Some days work on more volume, other days you work only on Speed, etc..

I think the FBBC 3/16"x5" round is a good in-betweener.

Rolle

cut the greens to 4.5 and 4" get some 1/4 Hot rolled stock and cut 7.5 and under peices, also go down to a hardware store and buy some 1/4 6" hex cap bolts, if they have nothing but letters on them they are grade 2, which you will want to be buying untill you get stronger.. also you can use 3/16 square to bridge the gap to 1/4 stock.

and remember to lever with your sledge's in all directions,a little bit ago i had a kink in my wrist and when i would curve my wrist back it would crack every time, it could of turned into a bad injury but didnt and i acredit this to sledge levering...

Edited by Oldtime

Thanks again for even more information. I'm taking it all in and I'll be incorporating all of your ideas into my bending. I'll keep you informed of my progress!!!

Thanks again I'm glad I joined this forum it is very helpful!!!

Chris