Humbled By The Blob

gottabend

Gentlemen,

Had to share with you my latest grip experience.

Since becoming afflicted with gripperism (aka grip addiction) late last year, I've been training with block weights. Couldn't find any Yorks so made due with the hex jobs. I still recall my first attempt at the 25's in the farmer's walk. Got half way across the yard and the left fell. Made it all the way before dropping my right. Couldn't break 'em off the ground after that. :-)

Nowadays, the 25's feel like nothing. I hold them for time with my pinkie and thumb. My next blocks were cut from an 80lber. I graduated this weight by strapping on 1.25 and 2.5lb plates. I've been over the 60lb mark for some months now and have been itching to get my mitts on an authentic Blob. Saw Dave's post on the board last Friday and snagged one. Got it Monday. Now I've gotta be honest fellas, I was secretly confident that I'd chalk up and deadlift this thing - no problem.

Well... guess what? I was lucky to break it a couple of inches off the ground. What a humbling experience! The width of the 50lb Blob is very close to that of my hex 40 so it's not width - it's the flare. To those who haven't held one of these things, there's a huge difference. I wasn't disappointed, just surprised - challenged. I've got a new target and I'm gunning for it.

When the postal worker delivered it, said package weight closer to 60lbs. Haven't weighed it yet but "feels" heavier than 50. Anyone know how much variance there were in these?

My York Blob weighs a little over 52#.

If you got it a couple inches off the ground on your first try, that's pretty good in my book. You'll own the thing soon. The one I'm using now (owned by anson) weighs just over 52# also.

My 47.5 pounder weighed in at 50

I'm curious -- do you still find much use for the lower weight blobs/blob imitations or equivalents, once you've graduated beyond them? I mean, I'm sure you could lift them for a bit of a warm-up, but after that -- do you guys do much with anything less than the heaviest weight you can manage?

I'm wondering how long people might stay at a particular blob weight, and if they pass it, it's still useful or becomes basically a doorstop.

I'm curious -- do you still find much use for the lower weight blobs/blob imitations or equivalents, once you've graduated beyond them?  I mean, I'm sure you could lift them for a bit of a warm-up, but after that -- do you guys do much with anything less than the heaviest weight you can manage?

I'm wondering how long people might stay at a particular blob weight, and if they pass it, it's still useful or becomes basically a doorstop.

Well, this is coming from a newbie but I still find I have to do a couple of warmup lifts with a lighter weight before I can hang onto the big one. May just be me though. For instance, I'll deadlift a 40 each hand and hold for time. I do this for a couple of sets. I'm then able to handle the 40 with 20 lbs strapped on. If I just walk up to the 60 cold, I may get it up but I won't hang on for long. :-)

When the postal worker delivered it, said package weight closer to 60lbs.  Haven't weighed it yet but "feels" heavier than 50.  Anyone know how much variance there were in these?

Mine comes in at 51 pounds, I believe. I weighed it on a electronic digital postal scale at work. :)

Edited by Sybersnott

I find the same thing is true with me. I need a real good warmup before I can get the heavier blobs up.

When you've passed up the smaller blobs, use them to warm up with, use them for cleans/snatches, and use them for tosses, passing around the back, farmers walks, etc.

Hmm okay thanks. Looks like there's plenty of use for ones you've passed, then. That makes me feel a little better about dumping all that money in to them.

The original Blob weighs in at 52 1/2. and when you get to something that large and tough an ounce or two will be the difference of making it or not even budging it. A 45 lb is childs play (even when adding extra magnetic weights) as compared to 50 or 52lb Blob. RS

I need a real good warmup before I can get the heavier blobs up.

My training partner and I have had some of our best blob workouts after heavy farmer's walk training.

BC.