Hrs Vs Crs

Mr.Moose

How can I see if it's HRS or CRS?

The reason I ask is because living in Thailand, you don't have to know anything about what you sell!! If I go to the place where they sell steel and ask for HRS they will say "No have", if I ask for CRS the answer will be the same! :help They only have "normal" steel. :D

To get what I want, I have to point out the stuff otherwise they'll sell me whatever they can. The first time I bought some steel I wanted 3/16", that they didn't have so I got some 1/4" instead. Funny thing was that when I checked it at home it was 3/16"!!!

So what is the difference between HRS and CRS? Is it possible to tell the difference just by looking at it? (Hope so).

Claes

In your current situation, I would master whatever pieces of steel you can aquire. Once u completely run out of stock, I would contact John Beatty. He only caries CRS. I believe there is no way to determine btwn HRS or CRS. Unless you compare the bends at the same length. Bending can get expensive, If you're serious you probably wont back off till you are hurt, at least that's how it went for me and a few others I believe. Bend everything, remember it's still conditioining!!

Bending is an awesome feeling but I believe also the most addictive. :blush

best of luck,

burner

In your current situation, I would master whatever pieces of steel you can aquire.  Once u completely run out of stock, I would contact John Beatty.  He only caries CRS.  I believe there is no way to determine btwn HRS or CRS.  Unless you compare the bends at the same length.  Bending  can get expensive, If you're serious you probably wont back off till you are hurt, at least that's how it went for me and a few others I believe.  Bend everything, remember it's still conditioining!!

Bending is an awesome feeling but I believe also the most addictive. :blush

best of luck,

burner

Well... Living in Thailand I think the shipping might be on the high side. :cry Steel is cheap here, I found the place that sells to the builders ( not body-builders) and it's dirt cheap. My last purchase was 30 meters (100") 1/4" and it cost 4,50$ :D:D

I want CRS so I can compare my efforts to the IM nails, the stuff I bend now seems a bit soft.

Bending being addictive??? Not for me, I bend as often as I can but I can quit whenever I want. I just don't want to. :D:D:help:help

Claes

Bend it and watch the curve on the bend. A looping "U" shaped curve is a softer steel than a "V" shaped curve. Compare it against pics you see in peoples albums for the same diameter material.

Drop it agains the concrete floor, crs makes a higher pitch ring.

Bite it, CRS will break more teeth :D

I also found that CRS genarally has more of a shine than the HRS

Thanks guys.

How much harder is CRS compared to HRS? I know steel vary but on avarage. When I've bent all the stock I have, I'll be down to a 1/4" @ 5" what would that be equivalent to using CRS?

Bent 2 6" pieces last workout, no problems, so I think 5" should be done in a month or so??

Or maybe I should just stay with "normal" steel and buy 1/4" square?

So many questions :help and everybody here thinks I'm crazy for doing this. I'm all alone. :cry:cry

Claes

I always belived that CRS was fairly harder than HRS and everyone here said that's not always the case, now after my latest batch of HRS I believe them, it feels as hard as it's CRS equivilant. so to ansewr your question, generally CRS is about 20% harder " based on my experiance" but you may runinto some HRS that will suprise you.

I always belived that CRS was fairly harder than HRS and everyone here said that's not always the case, now after my latest batch of HRS I believe them, it feels as hard as it's CRS equivilant. so to ansewr your question, generally CRS is about 20% harder " based on my experiance" but you may runinto some HRS that will suprise you.

Well MY steel must be the weak kind, I can't be that strong.

I've had "problems" with recouperation after bending, takes forever to get "fit" for another session, 4-5 days roughly. Tried to bend yesterday after 4 days rest, could JUST bend a 7" piece 1/4", second peice i couldn't even kink. :cry

So I sat down at the computer going thru the files and videos about bending to see if I could improve something. Then it hit me, Patrick Povilaitis, David Horne and Steve Weiner all bend the same way. I bent DO so why not try "their" style? Took the 7" piece I couldn't kink and put some pressure on it, IT BENT!!! Didn't even explode into it because I wasn't warmed up. Did 4 more 7" pieces to check technique/warm up and went for shorter pieces. Last 2 bends were 5,75", stopped because I didn't want to overdo it the first time I tried this technique. Bent 12 nails this workout. :D

7 x 5, 6,75 x 1, 6,5 x 1, 6,25 x 1, 6 x 2, 5,75 x 2 PR :D:D

So if I can bend 5,75" 1/4 " after less then a month of bending, the steel MUST be weak. I'm NOT that strong, or am I? :whistel

Claes

Ps. All you new guys thinking about starting to bend. Be careful, once you start there's no way back. :)

hrs is kinda dull and black, kind of looks really dirty, crs is clean and shiney... get a rag and whipe the oil off the stock and look at it, if it is black and dirty looking its probally HRS if its nice and shiney its crs