American Records

Bob Lipinski

I think I am going to start compiling a list of american records involving lifts that are relatively standardized. This is a work in progress, feel free to make suggestions.

(note- For rolling thunder, I am only using contests where using a new handle was specified. Also, only using grip competitions, not RT or other grip exhibitions)

------------------------------

Bending: 5.75 red (Rob W. Vigeant, Tommy Helsep, Clay Edgin)GGC 2004

2 Hand Pinch: 218, Tommy Helsep GGC 2004

V-bar: 360, Dave Morton, MGC 2005

Rolling Thunder: 212, Dave Tharp

2" bar Double overhand Deadlift: 500, Matt Graham, Super Grip Challenge 2001

One Hand Plate Pinch: 95 pounds, Jedd Johnson, TPS grip assault 2005

Bob,

A good start.

But the vbar record was by Dave Thornton not Morton.

Also have a word with Jedd and Smitty to see what they have lined up.

Also once you have it sorted, maybe wannagrip will pin it for you.

David

Thanks Dave!

Basically, I am just going right now for the events that are relatively reproduceable and likely will be contested elsewhere. Jedd and Smitty, if you see this let me know what you guys have done!

Bending:5.75 red (Rob W. Vigeant, Tommy Helsep,Clay Edgin)GGC 2004

V-bar: 360, Dave Thorton, MGC 2005

Rolling Thunder: 212, Dave Tharp

Hah! Wasn't sure whether to count you or not cause you came from Europe! I have to dig further into the RT anyways, not sure exactly if I am going to bother with new handles, etc.

Did a quick list of all the grip contest writeups I could find. Most of these aren't linked elsewhere. I will add the GGC and Supergrip results with a direct link. And I will try to sort through everything again.

Here is my contest listing:

http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2367

Only cut and pasted the most complete writeups I could find. Will clean it up eventually.

Just decided to go with the highest RT I could find in a grip contest.

Bending:5.75 red (Rob W. Vigeant, Tommy Helsep,Clay Edgin)GGC 2004

Rolling Thunder: 225, Zach Gipson, New England Grip Wars

Bob,

If you are going to include Steve's Rolling Thunder have it as a all-comers record, and still have Dave Tharp's record as the American record. This is what is done in athletics.

David

Morgan did 213.5 at the Grip Reaper Northwest Rolling Thunder Championships on August 5, 2005 in Portland Oregon. See Julie Havelka's website, as it is posted there.

Also, I was at Dave Tharp's contest and saw the 212. Kevin Meskew counted the weight of the device as 7 pounds. Tod and Julie counted the device as 6 pounds. I have weighed it on an electronic postage scale, and would recommend using 6 pounds, as it is some odd mid-6 pound weight. The GGC was plates only.

What about the 2003 Rolling Thunder National Championships? That was well documented, and a number of guys were higher than Morgan or Tharp? Then there would have been the St. Louis Steel Fingers Challenge in the summer of 2002 also. The 2000 and 2001 Beauty and the Beast "World Championships, both in May in Hawaii, had numbers larger than Morgan's or Dave's as well.

If you decide to add the IronMind Hub, I have a number of different contests and Dale Harder closely-monitored gatherings that he listed weights as official that I participated in. If you want to add it to the mix, PM me, and I will provide dates, places, weights, and third party contacts.

Hubgeezer

PM sent. Decided to go with the 225 by Zach Gipson. At this stage of the game, I am doing this all in good fun more than anything else. The organization of grip contest don't allow much else.

Hubgeezer, for now I am just going to stick with what I would call "grip contests", and not single Rolling Thunder type events.

I'll take Ironmind hub records. I will likely add in a record for 2.5 inch DB as well.

Again, as of now I am just doing this as sort of a "fun" thing, and a basis to build off of.

There is a decent amount of work left for me to do and I know I have missed some things- However I thought I would get this posted as a little extra incentive to follow through.

Fixed again

------------------

Bending:5.75 red (Rob W. Vigeant, Clay Edgin)GGC 2004

Rolling Thunder: 225, Zach Gipson, New England Grip Wars

Bob,

Looks great!

I am currently working on a site for all Global World Records and International and Domestic Contest results and rankings....

It is taking longer than I thought because of the Armwrestling Article series and work, training and home life :blush

http://www.dieselcrew.com/wgr.htm

I think, together, we'll be able to make something nice - so everyone can go and have everything at their finger tips!

Maybe the RT numbers should be split up between brand new RT's, used RT's and Rolling handles. I don't think Zach's 225 was on a RT. I think it was on a fabricated Rolling handle, if my mind serves.

Going forward, I think someone should buy an RT that is to be used for only contests and keep it in good condition so that numbers are consistent. What does everyone else think?

-Jedd-

I think the standard should definitely be a new RT, if we are to keep Rolling Thunder records. Use one for a few contests, then get another. Depends on what the difference can be though- Has anyone done a side by side comparison? That would be interesting.

I'll double check the records again Jedd.

That looks cool Smitty! Together we should be able to eventually get something else. I just decided to make my tinkering public so that I would have some input.

I think the standard should definitely be a new RT

This doesn't make sense to me. Why a couple contests? Why one? Having to buy a new one all the time makes no sense to me and says this "standard" is not very robust.

I have the experience of a whopping 6 RT handles. One that Clay had must have been damaged, because it rolled so slowly you could do mega lifts on it. One I purchased for Christmas is definitely 5-6 lbs tougher than the others. Quite frankly, all 4 of the others felt exactly the same.

We have had variability discussions to the max on grippers. I don't see it on RT. If it is beaten looking, it shouldn't be used. Otherwise, I don't see it as a biggie.

Hubgeezer

IMHO,a record on the new IRON MIND Rolling THunder handle makes sense...only because the implement wears down and -apparently-gets easier(or so it would seem)with age.

Also-only the IM RT handle should count...there must be hundreds sold...thus easy to prepare for a contest(even though the contest RT will be slightly harder than YOUR RT at home :whacked ).

Also clearly the IM nationals where Pfister,Bigger,and Haugen dominated SHOULD count.It was a brand new handle.Odd IS an american now..or lives in norhtern california..so I guess his 232(not even a very high number IMHO)should be the record.

There were judges(Schoonveld )and witnesses (Strossen and other pro strongmen competitors)there were actuaally a few gribboard members competing(Jad and Wade Gillingham)and Bigger,Pfisater,Haugen ,like it or not(not part of the gripboard :shifty )are the 3 best Rolling Thunder guys in the nation.Period.Odd being top banana(officially-but not really :upsidedwn:whacked )

Does this clear it up? :laugh:laugh

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

A bit less tongue ahd cheek.

Odd Haugens 250+ done in vegas(was edged out by Samuleson with a 264) OR Odd's 232#(?)at the american Rolling Thunder nationals would,IMHO,have to be considered the American record.

IF Odd isn't considered an american(i have heard he has a dual citizenship)???then Bigger and Pfister-tied at 224#on a brand new Rolling Thunder handle,in front of a Judge,at an official event,plus strossen and credible witnesses observing, would be the 'American' record.

My experience of RT handles is that the difference between a brand new and a somewhat worn one can be huge if one is lacking in wrist strength, easily 10-15 per cent.

In March of 2004, at the Iron Grip Challenge in Northridge, California, after the contest was over, Odd Haugen attempted to set a new American record. It is in the movie gallery on the board. He obviously knew what the number was, as he planned on breaking it. If I recall, he was trying for 257. Prior to trying that, he EASILY pulled something like 236. There were over 30 witnesses, including myself, Clay, Woodchuck, Meatloaf, Gorilla Hands. I couldn't get my computer to view it tonight, but I think the audio was fairly clear when Odd was speaking before the big attempt.

Now, had he been successful, he would have considered the RT an American Record. Perhps someone should solicit his memory and imput.

Hubgeezer

Odd pulled 232 at Northridge that day, and narrowly missed 260. He says that when he was training it consistently, his best RT lift at home is 277...

Odd pulled 232 at Northridge that day, and narrowly missed 260.  He says that when he was training it consistently, his best RT lift at home is 277...

I stand corrected. So, what if Odd's lift that day was 236, not 232, would that count? Someone should ask Randy Strossen what he has in the way of records, or what he recognizes as "official". Some may not want to hear it, but it is his gadget, and he is the one that posts the official rules on his website.

Hubgeezer

Well, the main point of what I am trying to do is organize records for grip contests.

The RT deals are usually just seperate events. I am just doing records for what we have generally considered a grip competition.

I am purposefully making vague interpretations of some points. A "relatively new" RT handle should be a criteria I believe. I know it lacks specificity, but splitting pubic hairs before there is any real consistency established in grip competition is pointless.

This thing is just a fun little project for right now. As the grip sports grow, or more importantly, as more people promote contests and network together for some sort of consistency, only then can we take a records list as some sort of a "big deal". Maybe then everybody will want to "start over". Who knows.

Hubgeezer, it could be argued that Odd's 232 that day does not count as it was an exhibition lift and he was not entered in the contest.

Hubgeezer, it could be argued that Odd's 232 that day does not count as it was an exhibition lift and he was not entered in the contest.

Then?the record goes back to Odd's 232 done in St.ouis in a contest billed as the Rolling Thunder Nationals.Strossen was there.

(everyone there indicated that the handle was VERY difficult and everybodies lifts were way down/low)again Jad and Wade participated but perhaps someone could contact Strossen.

OR the Rolling Thunder contest in Vegas...where Odd pulled 250+ for second place to Samulesons 260+.Samuelsons 260+ was billed as a world record>I believe Strossen was in Vegas.....this 'world' record was later broken by the kid from Estonia(Murumets?)with a 267(?).

Either way,IMO<Odd has the american record.