Regarding "world Records"

Bob Lipinski

Except for things that are very hard to calibrate (like grippers), I believe "records" should be able to be set on equipment with a similar set of specs.

For example, how much different can a v-bar be, especially when it is coated in chalk so much that there is no hand on metal contact?

I don't know much about the European pinch setup, but I am sure that you can give a basic steel type plus dimensions and have something reproduceable.

Sometimes variety is unavoidable- In powerlifting for example, the three lifts can vary greatly depending on the bar used, even those with identical dimensions. A springy bar can put a bench or squat in the tank, but increase the deadlift.

Another reason for allowing other equipment manufacturers- It allows us to support our sponsors, which have been very generous in getting this little hobby of ours some decent equipment to play with.

Just some thoughts.

Except for things that are very hard to calibrate (like grippers), I believe "records" should be able to be set on equipment with a similar set of specs.

For example, how much different can a v-bar be, especially when it is coated in chalk so much that there is no hand on metal contact?

I would be happy to test a FBBC (if they sent me one for free) v-bar back to back against a LGC v-bar. If they are indistinguishable in performance then I would personally be happy to recognise future WR's set on a FBBC bar provided they are all made of the same type of steel.

I don't know much about the European pinch setup, but I am sure that you can give a basic steel type plus dimensions and have something reproduceable.

Same thing as with the v-bar. The original sets the standard. However, why not have American records set on e.g. FBBC equippment if they prove to differ significantly from european spec. equippment?

A unifying standard is vitally important in friction lifts I believe. You would not find two IPF approved PL bars that would differ as much in performance as pinching plates can. With the old Iron Grip pinch set up, David Horne has a PR at 120k and Kalle Lane has pulled 100k. With the new similar looking Euro standard David's PR is 105k and Kalle's around 85kg. A huge difference. So no I would personally not recognise WR set on FBBC equippment for example unless the equippment has been tested back to back by the founders of the original standard. It's the nature of friction lifts that requires this basically.[/

Edited by Mikael Siversson

If you told us what kind of steel you use, why can't we replicate the equipment here?

I imagine you have made more than one pinch setup/v-bar- How do you ensure that each piece is the same? Are you basically saying that every piece of equipment made needs to be tested by you to be valid and "recognized" by you? BTW, not trying to be a dick here, just trying to understand.

And then another thing- The order of events would alter record performances in American contests where not every contest is standardized.

Oh well. We'll all get this shit hammered out someday.

Bob,

Yes we are on the way. Each Pinch setup steel and rubber are exactly the same. We don't need a huge amount of world records yet, the events will grow. What we need now is a growing in the quality of comps, and in the U.S. qualifiers for a national comp, and then a world champs. Mikael's point of starting the U.S. records is a great point and one that I think Jedd and Smitty are on their way to doing.

It's all going in the right direction, just slowly.

By the way, congrats on your grip contest.

David

If you told us what kind of steel you use, why can't we replicate the equipment here?

I imagine you have made more than one pinch setup/v-bar- How do you ensure that each piece is the same? Are you basically saying that every piece of equipment made needs to be tested by you to be valid and "recognized" by you? BTW, not trying to be a dick here, just trying to understand.

The difference in difficulty between the LGC and IG pinch set up is statistically insignificant, assuming that the competitors in the 2004 IG did not increase their strength for the couple of months leading up to the 2004 Europeans.

I am not trying to be difficult. I just want a WR to be worth more than the paper it is written on. For example, all European records are set on equipment where all individual plates were weighed (as we all know 20k stamped on a plate does rarely mean that this is the actual weight of the plate).

Did you weigh all plates individually for your contest using an approved scale (like at the post office)? This is definitely required if we want to recognise WR's.

Sending me a FBBC v-bar would not be very costly nor difficult. Very doable. I only need to test one if they are all made to a certain repeatable standard.

And then another thing- The order of events would alter record performances in American contests where not every contest is standardized.

Oh well. We'll all get this shit hammered out someday.

Interesting point re order of lifts. In Powerlifting etc the order is, I'm guessing, the same. I wonder if the order needs to be the same in grip events - anyone?

Steve,

There has been a general order of events in the UK and Sweden for a while.

1. Crushing, 2. Pinch, 3. V bar support, 4. 1 hand lift support, 5. Wrist

David

I get where you are coming from Mikael. You have very good standards there, you guys are just a little ahead of where this thing is at in the US.

I will get back with you about sending out a v-bar, but I would like to do that- Perhaps trade for an LGC? Right now though I think that after the grip contest my wife would kill me if I proposed any more grip related expenses.

I think everyone is doing a good job on working towards a uniform set of standards and equipment to be used at these events . I believe we all just need to work together and get it ironed out which so far seems to be getting done.Some very good questions were brought up here . I never really thought of the order of events or knew that there was a set order.I think that would have to play a great role in some of the numbers.

As far as a world record I'm guessing this is all about Dave's lift and from my past experience with Dave 1. I'm sure he's not claiming to have beat the record yet and 2. after seeing his performance on the non seasoned new FBBC bar I don't believe it will be a big problem reproducing it on LGC I've used a replica and haven't really noticed a big difference in performance but I'm not pulling those kinda of numbers and that might be why. All in all I'm glad to see us moving towards standardising and hope to see what can happen for Dave on an LGC bar. Also Mikael raises a good point on weighing the plates we'll have to make a point to rember this in the futre. My 2 cents whether anyone cares or not.