Table top wrist curl

strongmitts

Could someone explain the proper form for a table top wrist curl?  If I perform a wrist curl palms up on a table, the range of motion is very very small.  How could one judge if you complete the lift or not?  If the knuckles come up then it is a good lift?  Just wondering if I was missing something.  Thanks

Guest TDOGRPAGE

I believe that your wrist must be hanging off of the edge of the table and just your forearms are resting on the table.  Having your wrist completly on the table would be almost pointless in my opinion.

Guest Canthar

I use wrist curls in every workout and atleast the way I do it is to lay my forearm on the table, bench or whatever your using at the time, hanging my wrist far enough over the edge that the weights will not touch the table and use a full range of motion. In training I prefer to use my bench while I sit on the floor essentially depening how much wieght your using the table can dig into your forearms making those last few reps rather uncomfortable, so if you insist on using a table I'd place my forearms across a towel until you can tolerate the edge of the table.

Canthar

The photo of David Horne performing a 242.5 kg table top wrist curl in Iron Grip December 2000 shows that his hands do not extend over the edge of the table.

Although the range of motion is slight, if the weight is heavy enough, moving ANY range of motion becomes noteworthy. Two spotters are required to place the bell in the lifters hands

when weights climb into David's range.

Also in that issue of Iron Grip are the rules for a table top wrist curl. In brief, forearms must remain on the table but the knuckles and [backs of] hands must be raised off the table

for two seconds.

Back issues of IG may be available; it is a worthy publication.

I think the first description is the best. Its a lift and not really a forearm muscle worker. The range is very short and may well be hard to judge.

If they require spotters, are difficult to judge complete and don't really target the forearms ... why do them? I'm serious. Am I missing something? They must have some merit.

-Mike

It is mostly a competitive lift, not a training exercise for most

people. They do target the forearms, because if the forearm

remains in place no other muscle can be recruited to help elevate the weight. A very isolated movement.

Guest StrongerthanArne

I tried it out with a couple of friends and found it to be fairly easy to judge, far easier than plate curls. The range of motion is greater with a thumbless grip. I will not tell you how much I did. It's too embarrassing.

It is very easy to judge, and is a good wrist flexor strengthener. Perfect for armwrestling as my wrist does not want top go beyond the parallel range. I have got an incredible pump in the past with reps; my best being 190k x 20 reps and 220k x 12 reps.

David