Is This Odd?

bulletproof

Is it odd that I can get the COC #3 within 3/4'' of closing on a good day, but can't even lift a 20lb block weight? My crushing strength is pretty decent but my pinching strength SUCKS. The other day I missed a 455 pound deadlift because I couldn't hold on to the bar. I'm doing thickbar work and I'm starting with block weights now. This seems kinda odd.

That does seem odd. Make sure you are either using lots of chalk or the block and your hand are perfectly clean. A 20lb block should be EASY for someone who is making attempts at 455lb deadlifts. You could also try roughing up the surface paint a little bit by playing with the block on some pavement.

That does seem odd.  Make sure you are either using lots of chalk or the block and your hand are perfectly clean.  A 20lb block should be EASY for someone who is making attempts at 455lb deadlifts.  You could also try roughing up the surface paint a little bit by playing with the block on some pavement.

i agree with scott on that.

Yeah, I also have a piece of a 2x4 that I made into a pinch block. I'm lucky if I can get up a 35 pound plate chained to it. The only thing I can think of is that I somehow have HORRID thumb strength. Part of the problem is moisture, and I will be picking up some chalk to deal with that. However, I find it odd that I can have pretty good crushing strength (almost have the #3), but my supporting strength can't hold a 455 pound deadlift and my pinch strength pathetic as previously described.

I dunno, from what I've been reading people saying, the translation from pinching to gripping and vice versa is definitely not a smooth one at all. Those tasks seem to be very specific in their ways. Partly for the thumb strength thing, it seems.

Sometimes I'll grab my 20 lb block with sweaty hands and find it surprisingly difficult to lift. With chalk it is childs play. I think you'll find the same thing.

And just being realistic, 3/4" on the #3 is a long way to go. It took me many months of training to go from there to a 1/8" gap currently.

Does look like thumb strength may be a weak link for you though. Bring that up and it will help on grippers too!

Sounds like you have to strengthen your thumb. Crush strength can be independent of thumb strength. Block strength seems to have a reasonable carry over into crush strength since it works your fingers and your thumb.

how do you do on the coc2 because 3/4 of an inch is not a good example. pretty much anyone with any stregth can get a 3 to 3/4 an inch. thats not even parelle.

so the 2 is what would give a better idea imo.

how do you do on the coc2 because 3/4 of an inch is not a good example. pretty much anyone with any stregth can get a 3 to 3/4 an inch. thats not even parelle.

so the 2 is what would give a better idea imo.

I was wrong. It's more like 1/3 of an inch left. I can grind the #2 really easily.