IM Hub

Guest Uberman

Guest Uberman

Can anyone with an IM hub post the diameter and depth of grip surface for me? I ran across a pvc pipe joint that looks simular to the pic in the IM catalog. I rigged it up and gave it a try but was wondering if it is close enough for training purposes. Thanks in advance. Mike

I don't have a IM hub so I can't answer your question.

I would like to post another hub question. Sorry for cluttering your post but this seemed better than starting a new post on the same general topic.

My question: how does the IM hub compair to lifting plates by the hub? Easier? Harder? The same?

-Mike

Guest Neal Bates

Mike, I  have had the same question about the IM Hub. I have considered using one of those plastic lids from a 3 liter soft drink bottle for the same thing. They don't look anything like the pic from IM but as long as its dimensions are close who cares. Even if the dimensions are off a bit there have to be lots of other items available that would come close enough to rig up for training purposes(like your pvc pipe joint). So does anybody know the dimensions of the real IM HUB?

Guest Michael Benis

Plastic might flex. Unlike a db handle you have to apply high localised pressure (i.e. finger points).

The hub is easier thatn lifting a big plate because the weight hangs beneath and doesn't torque.

hth

Mike

• 1 month later...
Guest skroah

I just got mine today.

Diam 3''

Depth a whopping 1.25''

What are other people lifting on this device. I could only manage to lift 35 pounds with right, didn't try left as my thumb is still sore from climbing last night.

I suspect the average on it is well over 45 since the depth is large.

It's pretty sturdy and probably worth the bucks, though my grip toy shelf is gettting quite crowded with these esoteric looking things.....

Guest Uberman

Skroah,

Thanks for the measurements. My homemade one is 2.25" dia. and 1" deep. I lifted 40lbs with it when I made it I haven't worked it into my routine yet. Mike

Do those of you who use the hub feel it increases your pinch-grip significantly? I have been thinking about purchasing one.

Do it Paul,it is well worth the price, and It has improved my pinch grip significantly, like some of our boardmates I too am cluttering up my garage gym with grip toys but it's great, I would not have it any other way!!

Later

JJ

Thanks blueshadow. I think I'll order one this weekend! One of the problems I have with pinching plates is that the skin at the base of my thumb tears and then I have to wait fairly long in between pinch workouts for things to heal. I'm sure this wouldn't happen with the hub because the grip is slightly different.

That's right Paul, you would not suffer torn skin with it as it has a really smooth finish,it would slip out of your fingers before tearing skin,by the way I don't use chalk with it! Happy lifting!

a hockey puck has about a 3in diameter- just put an i bolt through one. hockey pucks cost about 99cents or you could pay about 2 bucks for your fav team. go wings!!

Guest skroah

A Wings puck? That's low budget. At least get a penguins puck! Seriously, you can make almost all of your own grip tools. The hub pinch while cool is defn. an odd looking device and the verdict is still out on whether it's useful for crosstraining the grip. I'll let you know in a couple weeks. I have zero interest in grabing a york plate that way since I rarely go to a weight gym where they have such things. I thought it might be good for building thumb and finger strength at the same time.....

I'm new to this stuff, but I'm using the "softball lift" for my pinch grip, only costs about $3 to set up if you have a loading pin. I use the pin and daisy chain from my IM hip belt to add weight via dumbells.