Question About Block Weight Sizes

bulletproof

Have any of you noticed any differences in the sizes of cast iron dumbells? I bought a 40lb dumbell at Walmart to begin block weight training and this thing seems HUGE. I'm just wondering if these Walmart dumbells are made of some cheap, shitty alloy or something that requires the blocks to be bigger. Measuring from top to bottom of the block weight (across the number, top to bottom), it is around 3 and 7/8 inches. My hands are average sized at 7.5 inches (I read that the average hand size is 7.49 inches). I can't even imagine trying to hold on to a 40lb block weight. Any ideas? Is my block weight a misfit?

So when someone says 40lb block weight, they really mean one block off of what was a 40 pound dumbell? Or would one block off of a 40 pound dumbell be considered a 20 pounder? I'm kind of confused.

Generally a 40lb block weight would be the head off of an 80lb dumbell.

I have small hands, the 20lber is pretty easy for me, just the right weight for tossing. Most people with bigger hands should be able to dominate it with little effort.

Have any of you noticed any differences in the sizes of cast iron dumbells? I bought a 40lb dumbell at Walmart to begin block weight training and this thing seems HUGE. I'm just wondering if these Walmart dumbells are made of some cheap, shitty alloy or something that requires the blocks to be bigger. Measuring from top to bottom of the block weight (across the number, top to bottom), it is around 3 and 7/8 inches. My hands are average sized at 7.5 inches (I read that the average hand size is 7.49 inches). I can't even imagine trying to hold on to a 40lb block weight. Any ideas? Is my block weight a misfit?

I can't really tell to easily from the picture how big your block weight is in comparison to mine. Is there any way you can measure your block weight from top to bottom, across the number, and tell me what you get?

My 20 lb hex (from a 40 lb DB) is also 3 7/8". So I think that's pretty standard. I have 7.5" hands and don't have any problem with it. By the face is quite a stretch though.

But I can just barely get my hands around a 37.5 lb hex and have only managed to DL it inconsistently with my dominant hand. When I was "hex-shopping" I quickly realized my hand wouldn't span anything in the 90-100 lb DB range.

So I think average hands can get around a 40# hex, but that's probably near the limit.

I checked and my 20lb block weight is about consistent with yours in measurement. I can span up to a 35lber, but only lift a 30lber. Not sure if I could span a 40lber.