Bending Form

Dude

I finally figured out how to make a video with the camera. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers for my technique. I think with strength the technique is just as important in bending so I'm trying to get my DO as perfect as I can. Let me know what I can work on. Thanks

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=2847

Hey, well first off nice melt of that nail. Your definitly in store for some serious bars when you get the tech down IMO. Really, the main thing would be to bend more toward the ground. It looked like you bent directly away from you, parallel to the ground. I find, as others have said (such as in Dave and Gregs bending write up), that the most force can be put in at the 45 degreeish fashion, not toward the ground, but right in the middle. Other then that, your looking pretty good.

Thats what I was thinking myself. I always feel some soreness under my jawline from the pressure from my hands. I cant seem to get my upper body to torque as much when I'm forcing down. I think I have to mentally point my elbows in that 45 degree direction, much easier for me to say looking at my video than doing it bending, lol.

Also, I'd like to crush my nails down a bit more in the initial kink before I do the chest crush. Sometimes I dont do it far enough to get a good squeeze and have to reset.

Im with jad, you need to wrap it alot tighter, what i do is put the wrap on the floor, step on the end's with both feet and pull tightly with my hands rolling it up.

As far as techniqe goese on actualy bending the nail, i would say take more time setting up, finding where you feel strongest on the kink, when i first started i had this problem with the nail sliding down my chest because i had my hands too far on the nail, you dont want your hands on the nail too much because you need your knuckles facing each other a little to get good leveage, if that makes sense....

anywho, i took some time and focused on my kink etc, i found that taking the bar and pulling into my throat slightlywith my elbows much higher then my wrists and then exploading into the nail downward geting stuck in the crook of my collar bone in a way is a good techniqe for me, my arms dont slide down my chest like that used to, and i can concentrate on bending it and not keeping my for 100% because it works well, my advice to you is to expeirement, everybody's body geomytry is diffrent, some peoples shoulders are wider with shorter arms, some the toher way around. But one thing i noticed is you dont use your chest at all in thge bend it almost looks like your holding the nail out in front of you, instead of holding it against yourself, this makes it alot harder on your stabilizing muscles in my opinon..., also it seems like your bending the nail out infront of you instead of down, DO is called DO for a reason, its no called double behind :D , focus on bending the nail down..

A 60d seems to be very easy for you so i think these will be ideal to use to get your form down.

Although i am still a beginer myself in bending, This is what i have learned myself in the short time i have been bending..

Edited by Oldtime

Thnx Jad and Oldtime for the replies.

I used to use leather to bend but I eventually wanna try to do the red and cert so I figured I'd do away with the leather and get used to loving the IM pads. I chalked them up once before and did it right before making this video and there was a big time difference in them. I always have a hard time getting a good wrap on the head side of the nail or bolt so I need to work on that. The other side is usually pre-rolled so thats not usually as loose.

The hardest part in me doing DO is getting into that position up so high and finding the leverage to torgue down and bend. But I see you put the nail in the crook of the collarbone so I'm gonna try that, leave my elbows where they are and drop the placement of the nail. That way I think I can come down onto it with leverage at a 45. Plus holding it where I do kills my jaw the next day because its almost like I'm bending the nail over it.

You think I should practice with 60Ds? Or should I do lots of timber ties until perfect, and then up the nail progression slowly with lots of volume?

Once I again thanks for the pointers :D

I agree with what the others have already said. I do think you are going into the nail to casually. It looks like you are taking your time and doing each step. I would like to see more explosion at the start. The way that nail bent I would expect if you exploded into it that your fingers should be hurting from crashing into eachother. Focus on your speed and intensity, I need to see the hatred of the nail in you when you go to bend it. If that bend is any judge of your strength I am guessing that grade 8s will not be a challenge for you when you start getting angry.

Do me a favor. Make another video (hang something cool on the wall first :D ) and focus on breaking your fingers while they are crashing in to eachother. Then chest crush that thing down to 1/4" like it personally has done something horrible to you. Do it on a grade 5 because I am guessing that 60D will not be enough of a challenge for you. Get the bar high, and explode into it.

Greg Amidon

P.S. I am all fired up and gonna bend the minute I get home....

Edited by gamidon

Do me a favor.  Make another video (hang something cool on the wall first :D ) and focus on breaking your fingers while they are crashing in to eachother. 

P.S. I am all fired up and gonna bend the minute I get home....

haha I'll try and adjust the ambiance of my bending enviornment the next vid :laugh

Now you got me wanting to bend too. I'm going on a mission today to see if I can find some g5 and g8 stuff. I've yet to find a store that sells them but today I'm gonna hunt them down. :rock

"P.S. I am all fired up and gonna bend the minute I get home...."

Gregg, I didn't know the doctor got your shoulder healed up already.

all in all looks pretty good, you'll move up fast. I find I have a sweet spot I hit during the kink, if I miss the sweet spot I start again, maybe the elbows up like in your video is your sweet spot?! obviously it's working for you, you destroyed that 60d.

thats the same way I am with heavier bends like 60Ds. Its either I hit it right in the sweet spot and no problem and its a good bend or I cant move it for crap.