I'm In Trouble!

burner

Ok,

we had some issues with my last thread concerning my rehab and it had to be locked, hopefully everyone can behave.I really need the help!

....After 2 weeks of steady rehab on my right ring finger one of my training partners threw a G5 1/4" at me and said "bend wuss"........

ICAN'T TOUCH A G5 WHAT THE HELL!! :cry:cry:cry:cry

the pain is all through the wrist and top of the hand.......I'm devastated, yet I can still hold onto a 500 deadlift??!!

if anyone has ever had this sort of weakness what did you do? :(:(:(

help,

burner

Edited by burner

Burner,

How exactly did you hurt it? I remember card tearing or something and then a lot of grippers.

I would think rest and some active recovery is your best bet. See a doctor getting his advice is your best bet.

Greg

sucks doesnt it B? Im out for a lil while too...

Heat and ice the crap outta that thing.

You still have full range of motion and such?

I had something similar a few weeks ago, after spending the day showing off with Reds and 60d's the top of my left hand behind the index finger was extrememly painful "when opening the hand". but like you said it was fine for gripping, I did a HG contes the next day and had no trouble holding the weights but the back was even swollen, after 3-4 days I was bending like normal, this two weeks must be killing you. get rest and heal then give'r hell.

If it doesnt start to improve soon I'd have doc take a look at it. Are you taking any anti-inflammatories (Motrin IB, etc..)? Try 800mg a day. Also is there any swelling, bruising, pain to the touch in certain areas? That can tell you a bit more of what you might've done also.

I would try to use my hands as least I could. Use straps for the time being for heavy lifts and lay off bending. But when you do start to go back into start down with the timber ties and see how it feels. I think if you just jump into heavy bending again its gonna set you back and you'll make no progress towards rehab.

From what it sounds like this isnt gonna heal in days time, more like weeks. If you wanna avoid the docs, which I do at all costs because of the price, just stick with what they tell you on here: contrast baths, icy hot, anti-inflams, etc... Maybe try making a snowball. I think DanP had the idea of putting rice in a sock and tying a knot in it to make a cheap one, maybe give that a try.

Keep us updated, hope your hand heals quick man. ;)

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got"

Rest, Heal, Rest, Heal - repeat. Don't do anything except therapy movements and treatments until you are pain free or at least close to it. And watch heavy movements using straps - can put a lot of pressure on the backs of your hands and slow down the healing process. Then start back with an overall, balanced forearm and hand program. Don't specilise on any one area for a while. Maybe quite a while. Your grippers won't run away - they will still be there when you're all healed up and ready for them.

if anyone has ever had this sort of weakness what did you do? :(  :(  :(

help,

burner

Rest, your just going to be digging yourself a deeper hole at this point, when you are extremly weak in bending i have found all you need is rest, well in this case you might have some real injuryes and not just over trained but i think you should still take some time off, if you hurt yourself bending the last thing you want to do is get into bending full blast after only weeks of recovery, if it hurts stop thats my opinion..

Following my own advice i have succesfully bent a 7" fbbc in 74 days since i have started bending and am completely injury free aside from blisters.

Happy bending burner hope you heal up alright.

Great advice from all around, great job on the FBBC bend oldtime! I was recently reminded that I had also tweaked my wrist during an armwresting workout last week. I let my wrist break and I got driven down with tons of side pressure. Bending is out, I have no wrist. I watch my training partners while they crush reds and it's just disturbing. I was in awe of their strength. And to think I was doing much more than that a month ago. :blink The contract baths work pretty good, but I think rest and testing your abilities to see what movements don't hurt in the gym will over a period of time heal me, plus a little more for handling big weight with a slight injury. The body adapts to handle the strain. It's time for me to just focus on my lifting for a while. Both hands are very tender and the left forearm is a bit tweaked. I was doing one arm culrs with an olymbic bar and the forearms were just screaming. I'm hurt and it's time for rehab I've also been doing lots of heavydeadlifts from the floor, occasionally I get the "pullin itch". I'll just have to take some training partner abuse while they progress. I must say though, the bending seems to have picked up since I laid the bars to rest for a while, I think this mentality in the gym will definitely speed up recovery. Being pushed through rehab is the only way to think.

I'll keep you updated :rock

.....great louie quote climber, that got my attention!

peace,

Burner

Edited by burner

• 4 weeks later...

sup fellas,

been off the board for a while with a nasty hand injury and also awaiting a new baby. My westside training has definitely brought my hands back up to a respectable level. Grippers are still a bit painful due to a few fingers that are still behind. After spending a few weeks playing with 60d's I felt that I was still way behind my usual bending strength, they felt slow and really didn't improve over my warm up sets. Bending was such an obsession for me leading up to the FBBC and red cert that I figured it would last forever. being sidelined you know that there will come a time when you have to work up again. My time was last night. A day after my max effort back day I went after my first red in almost 2 months. I worked up on 60's and then blasted into a red....NOTHING!.......man that hurt. The pain was all through my lower arms and pecs, but noticed that I didn't feel the usual slight twinge in the shoulders, incredible. I did a bunch of push ups, worked back up on 60's and pulled out the FBBC 7" stock. This time i actually hit the bar, (i think it may be possible that many have the strength to bend the red and beyond but just don't realize how much force is required to get this level of steel moving, you real need confidence in your body, that it wont't tear apart of course!) I knocked em all down with ease and got quicker as the bending progressed. yea there was some pain in the beginning but you can't warm everyhting up??!! The moral of the story is, time off really works, i've also been doing tons of rotator cuff work to provide for a bigger bench. Preparing muscles that actually need to be brought up should definitely be of interest for those of you injured from bending or on your way, getting stronger is the best way to prevent injuries :rolleyes . greg does rotator work fairly often even if he wasn't benching. Bending wont be enough, get in the gym and prepare your body for this brutal hobby. If you get fairly worked up before big bends I would advise getting a very good warm up before you hit the bar, the mind is overwhelmingly stronger than the body. Training smart will always come before training hard when u have experience.

just some insight from a hurt guy trying to get kinda strong.... :blush

peace,

burner

Burner - glad to hear you're on the mend - it's a hard lesson to learn when you find out you're not "10 foot tall and bulletproof" like you always believed you were. Continue to come back slow and smart and good luck my friend!

Burner - glad to hear you're on the mend - it's a hard lesson to learn when you find out you're not "10 foot tall and bulletproof" like you always believed you were.  Continue to  come back slow and smart and good luck my friend!

Well, at least I am still bulletproof, I checked my height and well, I am definetly not 10' tall. One out of two isnt bad though... :)

Greg

This is great to news Burner my friend. I know all to well about those injuries in fact I usually don't take recovery time, as I should. I normally bend like mad for that next PR until injured and must take a time out.

It is ashamed but true (children don't try that at home) :blush but I did just get a 16 pound sledgehammer that I hope to grow into it one day but until then I will choke up to lever it.

Enough about me - I think you did the smart thing by doing some smart rehab training. I am glad you are back on top of your game. :mosher

GATOR

As the rehab continues..

One of the guys in my crew has put an order in with ironmind for the apollon's axle. Although we have nearly zero thick bar training under our belts I feel that it can be helpful for recovery as well as strength development, but how much is a mystery. I would like to get some feedback on how thick bar work has helped heal and stengthen. Finding alternate roots to stengthen my recovery from bending is now a priority. I am still experiencing pain in the top of my hand as well as soreness throughout the pinky side of the palm.......

any input on thickbar would be appreciated especially from those that also bend heavy steel.

thanks in advance,

burner

• 2 weeks later...

With just a few days of thickbar training , (benches and deads) I definitely have some extra soreness. The thick bar will definitely be a great rehab tool as well as strength builder. Been doing quite a bit of bending. Got myself back to a 6.0 FBBC BAR. I'm trying to devise a plan to attack the 5.5" withthin the next year. My previous training included volume bends with 60d's to failure. My previous best is 60 because I ran out. Definintely could have done more and I took very little rest between bends . three or four days later I would hit a pr bend, it was very important for my to heal up during this time. After a month of this, the back of both hands felt like they were starting to break down. I would like to invite different ideas from benders that have gotten them out of a rut, especially after an injury. don't be bashful. Whether you bend yellows or tire irons. I'll try it all. I also bend DO exclusively.

hit em' hard,

burner