Double Stamp Gripper

Guest liquidtheorems

Guest liquidtheorems

What's up with the new double stamp ironmind grippers.  Has there been changes in construction.  Are they easier/tougher than single stamped.  I gave my old #1 to my friend for inspiration and to get him going with grip and bought a new #1 so I could do extra strapholds.  Does anyone know if there has been any changes?

Bob

Guest TDOGRPAGE

From what I've heard and read, the Ironmind double-stamped grippers appear to be slightly heavier and stronger than the single stamped ones.  This however is unconfirmed and only a statement from Ironmind themselves could confirm this.

I'm curious about those double stamp grippers. So Ironmind doesn't sell any of those single stamp grippers???

What's the difference between a single and a double stamp?

JAMES

A stamp on each handle doesn't allow space for PDA to stamp the closing torque on the gripper. Previously this was done on the unstamped handle at the time of calibration. I think this may be the only difference/reason.

-Mike

I think they did it for pics.  It is going to be MUCH easier to get pics of a double stamped gripper.  Why would IM care if the gripper is stamped?  I mean, if you get it stamped you can't certify.  I think Dr. Strossen could give a **** about that.  Plus, John gets his money from testing.  So, if Strossen is gonna get mad, stamping is secondary because John has already done the deed.......

It is well known that the resistance of grippers varies a great deal whether they be the old COC the newer ones or the latest that are stamped on both handles.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Not to mention those PDA grippers. I recently did 2 reps left handed with a 286 ip gripper and 7 with a 302 ip. I have tested four IM #2's and they varied less in real world difficulty than the PDA grippers. Twelve reps with the easiest #2 equalled 4 reps with the toughest #2.

You can certify on a calibrated gripper.  You can't certify on one that's stamped.  That woud be modified or tampering, that rule was there before testing was even around......

Heath, you are absolutely correct. However the difference between a calibrated unstamped and a calibrated stamped gripper is a tough one for me to see (in regard to closing difficulty). In my book, if a guy trains hard enough to close a #3 type gripper it's a good squeeze regardless of what's stamped on the bottom of the handles. It's the spring that matters to me. I don't care if the gripper was obtained from IM, PDA or Tetting himself. But, then again, I don't maintain a list, I don't sell grippers and I can't close the big one yet.

-Mike

The double stamp is merely a "batch" I believe. I have a guy at work...all but the 3 and 4 are double stamped.

He wondered why. I told him they are probably from a different batch.  

However, they could be doing this from now on and haven't gotten rid of the grippers with just a single stamp.

Mike, I see your points.  If you train hard enough to squat 700lbs you should be recognized for it.  Closing a tough gripper is what matters to me too.  But, I don't make the rules, Dr. Strossen does.  If he says this counts and that doesn't, then so be it.  If Tetting or who ever else makes a list then they can make their own rules.  Until then, if you want to be certified I guess you do it their way.

Grippers vary, period, regardless of vintage.  Heath's right, stamping a handle amounts to a modification, nothing more, nothing less.  Is anybody even paying for calibration anymore?

What is the general view about getting your gripper seasoned by PDA- is it acceptable to certify on a seasoned gripper?

How much easier (subjectively) does seasoning make the grippers?

Sorry about going off tangent there. I was just thinking, perhaps one benefit of negative training is seasoning a gripper.

I think PDA has seen reductions of up to 15-20% after seasoning.

Yeah, it's funny though actually. You get a new gripper and think you are getting stronger but in reality the gripper is getting weaker too initially!  The joke's on us! :)

Guest StrongerthanArne

I seasoned my IM 3 myself but noticed very little difference in difficulty. Not anywhere near 15-20 per cent. That figure might only be valid for grippers with specific properties, such as a tightly wound coil perhaps.

I got a new #2 from IM that is double stamped, and it is a heck of a lot harder than my old #2, and I'd say it is harder than my BBM as well.  The springs are mounted much deeper than my original #2.  I believe this difference is more than just the old variation, I think IM is making tougher grippers.  I believe others on this board have mentioned the perceived increase in difficulty with the double stamped grippers, however there are no strong feelings about that on this thread.

I received a new coc #3 last October and it is much harder then my other #3 I bought in 2000.  The spring is set much deeper, but isn't doubled stamped.  The first thing I noticed about the gripper was that the spring was a different color then all of my other grippers.  When I went and got certified someone brought a new #1 and it felt very easy.  ???

Guest CanadaCrush
I got a new #2 from IM that is double stamped, and it is a heck of a lot harder than my old #2, and I'd say it is harder than my BBM as well.  The springs are mounted much deeper than my original #2.  I believe this difference is more than just the old variation, I think IM is making tougher grippers.  I believe others on this board have mentioned the perceived increase in difficulty with the double stamped grippers, however there are no strong feelings about that on this thread.

This is much like my experience. I have a newer #2 that is double stamped. The spring is set further down in the handles and is a heck of a lot harder to close than my old #2, which I gave to a friend. My old #2 I could rep for around 25. The new #2, however, is a different story. I repped out at 8 with it the other day. In comparison, I can close Luke's #3 for 7 reps, and my #3 for 4 reps. It's a little odd for a warmup, since that's the lowest gripper I have, and I can't close it with my left.

-Mark

Guest Euclid

I purchased a #2 from IM about a month ago and it was double stamped.  The only other gripper I have besides that is a #1 I bought 6 months ago.  The gap between them seems incredible.  Could a double-stamped #2 be comparable to an older, weak #3?  Does anyone have an older #3 they would like to sell to me?  Maybe they are making the grippers stronger to curb the number of people who successfully get certified.  IMO, the list wouldn't be impressive if it had 1000+ certified COC's.

Guest liquidtheorems

I don't know about the #2 double stamp all I replaced is the #1.  Now the #1 has been very easy for me for a long time, however, the DS #1 I can do strapholds on it with two fingers.  It seems like a trainer to me.  I'm a little dissapointed with it.  Other than that I don't know.  I don't plan on buying new grippers and if they won't certify me with my old #3 when I close it so be it.  I'll know I closed the #3 and what other people see makes no difference