New Black Log

Tom Black

I thought you were already world-class. Another thing that you might want to try is hub lifting with a wash cloth between your hand and plate. The cloth makes the lift easier on the fingers and thumb but there is a humbling reduction in weight that can be used.

Ha!  I just wrote that because of a post a long time ago on the board.  Basically, someone was lifting about 135-pounds on a 2.5-inch handle and asked me about that lift in my "Grip Feats and Records" article.  He said that the lift couldn't be "World Class" because he did it and he couldn't possibly be world class.  Of course, thick handled lifting is a peculiar thing in that people with long fingers do have an advantage.  Nevertheless, I've seen some tall guys with long fingers really have a problem with only 120-pounds.  

I think the hub lift if probably a little more fair of a lift because you can't get your whole hand on the hub, and the advantage of big hands is reduced.  If I had trained for 3 weeks on the hub and did 45-pounds I would have thought that 45-pounds was too easy, but I've worked on it awhile, and of course have done related pinching feats.

Hmmm, I'll try the washcloth, but the lift doesn't seem too hard on the fingers now.  It sounds like an interesting variation.