Weight loss and grip

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I know through many tears of training that weight loss effects your strength in the gym. My question is does it also effect your grip strength ? I am on a diet right know and have been wondering about it. Has anyone lost quite a bit of weight while training grip ? If so how did it effect you  ?

i'm tryin a high protein, very low carb diet now.  so far it hasn't affected my strength in anyway.  especially not grip.

I've lost about 20-25 pounds since the winter holidays and I haven't noticed any decrease in grip strength as a result.

BC.

Guest TDOGRPAGE

Weight loss affects your strength in almost everything in my experience.  I used to weigh 280-290 pounds at 6'0".  I was into powerlifting.  I was winning or placing in the top two in bench competitions and was very strong.  However, I was eating whatever I felt like which while giving me strength, also gave me a large waist.  My wife really didn't give a #!@& how much I bench pressed or squatted.  I decided that although I highly value performance, it wasn't worth the extra weight.  So I heavly dieted and lost 70 pounds at my lightest and lost a little over 100 pounds off my max bench press.  My strength in every aspect with the exception of cardio endurance was affected.  

I now am balanced out at around 225 and my strength is going back up.  Unfortunately I have only been working my grip for the past few months so I can't for sure say you won't lose strength.  But if your forearm muscles are like the rest of the muscles, you probably will lose a bit.  You got to find a good balance between performance and health/looks in my opinion.  Good luck with your diet.

Guest 115-1005574997

I have dieted down from 13 stone to 12 (intend to get to 11 and a half by the summer as im getting into climbing) and its the big lifts that have suffered.  Partial deadlifts, 1Handed lifts, rolling thunder etc simply because i cant squat, deadlift or press as much at a lighter weight.  Pinch gripping, gripper and wrist strength is un altered.  Just a thought

My best grip strength has been acheived while losing weight. Perhaps it's because like Scott I concentrated extra hard on the grip stuff because my other lifts inevitably went down.

Just thinking about it though, weight loss won't effect leverages or ROM in grip strength like the other big lifts.