Temperature And Can Busting

Ari

I cannot bust a can. But from those who can, I was wondering, which is harder, a can with warm or cold contents? I picked up a warm can the other day, and it seemed much stiffer than cans from the fridge. Does this make any difference in busting difficulty?

Not having ever busted a can, I wouldn't know but I would have thought busting a warm can would be easier. The warm can was firmer when you picked it up because the warmth caused the pressure inside the can to increase and push against the sides harder. I believe busting a can is achieved by crushing the sides until the internal pressure reaches a critical point, so a warm can would help in such an instance. In theory.

Edited by gunnaknow

Warmer = Easier.............In fact try leaving them out in the hot sun, if you leave them too long they blow up on their own. We did a show recently and set the cans out on a table in the sun and forgot about them. It got like 97 degrees out and when one of the guys blew up a hot water bottle, the sound energy was just enough to push the cans past their limit and cause spontaneous combustion on several of the cans.........Kinda ruined the whole feat for us..........I have also noticed on more than one occassion that hotter cans tend to spring leaks easier instead of bursting , not sure if it is due to temp or can flaws though........Brett

I'd have thought cold was easier because it's easier to get a dent in the can. I figured if you could get the dent, the structural intergrity of the aluminum would decrease in that area, and you'd have a spot to go on.

Guess I was wrong (again).

I usually only do the ones that are ice cold from the fridge. It feels easier to me because the can is a bit more squishy and I can grip into it more, haven't really ever tried warm ones. I'm gonna try and do some warm ones soon and see which are easier. But after Kerb's post warm cans are by far easier, they almost explode themselves, lol.

for me, when the can is cold, they are easier. they blow up on their own in my freezer and at work.