Gripper Winding question

Guest TDOGRPAGE

Guest TDOGRPAGE

Does anyone know if the way the grippers are wound gives an advantage to right vs left hand?  I as because I have a unique condition.  I am naturally right handed, I write and throw right handed.  However, due to a dislocation injury when I was very young, my right arm is approximately 2 inches shorter, my right hand is a centimeter smaller than my left and my right wrist can't turn straight "can't do wrist curls without leaning way over."  This causes me to have to do the gripper a lot with my left hand, althou I work both hands evenly.  I can now close a number 2 barley twice with my left.  I can't close it with my right, I am about 3/4 of an inch away unless I slightly twist the spring with my left hand "I know this is against the rules" however, if I do that, I can close the #2 4-5 times with my right.  

This brings me to the winding question.  When I look at a gripper from the top, I notice that the top handle always is closer to the right.  Does this give an advantage to the right hand?  Or does it matter?  Are any of the COC's here left handed?  Has anyone certified with their left hand?  Thanks for any info you can give me.

The advantage is real. I don't know about certifying with the left hand, but plenty of people can close an IM #3 with either hand.

About certifying, I wonder how much longer that list will exist. This is probably a touchy subject but in a couple more years the list of #3 closers will most likely exceed 100. It is currently growing at about 20 a year. IM will probably still certify closers of the #3 and maybe maintain a list on their web site (good for business). I feel the future of "the list" is in the hands of the #4's. I am sorry if I have irritated anyone with this opinion. It is just some speculation about things I have no control over and, as such, is not worth getting angry over. Just a little food for thought.

-Mike M.

I think you are probably right about closing the #3 not being such a big deal in the future.  I suspect that, with proper training, a  man of average ability could succeed in closing the #3.  Maybe someday closing the #3 will be looked upon as the measure of a good grip rather than an extraordinary one.  I, for one, will be very disappointed if I am never able to close a #3.

Not to tick anyone off but....

There are many, many strongmen out there, some of the strongest in the world. that cant close the #3 and I think that the many of certified closers on here may take offense to those who believe the feat to be easy to obtain!!!  I have a friend that squats 800, pulls 750, and benches 550.  He won the WPC Worlds in South Africa.  He is 275 pounds-he cant close the #2.

If the "average" man trains his a$$ off, he may also be able to squat 600+, bench 400+, and deadlift 600+ raw, but does that make these numbers not worthy of mention??  How many men out there can handle these poundages??  How many men can close the #3??

I believe Dr. Ken said once that if someone can take 600 pounds out of the rack, squat down with it, and stand back up with it, they are ONE STRONG SOB- regardless of how much equipment he wears or doesnt wear.  Lets give credit where credit is due-closing the #3 is an awesome accomplishment and worthy of mention.  It is still my goal and anyone who has mashed it is a Superman!

Rick Walker

With the way they're wound, which hand has the disadvantage? I don't know if it's harder with my left because of they way they're wound or if my left is just weaker.

No, supersqueeze..... Rick is riding that horse!!  ???

I've known guys (real strong) who can't close the #2, and sometimes the #1!  Your average Joe-Blow isn't gonna come out of the woodwork and close the #3.  If you can close the #2, you are FAR ahead of most men when it comes to grip strength.  Closing the #3 is something special.

I thought I was "grip strong" when it came to the grippers.  I was quickly humbled by the #2.  I thought I would NEVER be able to close the #3.  I decided to work hard on my training, and it happened.  Notice I said WORK.... daydreaming about closing the #3 isn't gonna do it.  You'll haffta TRAIN.   :crazy

I can't even begin to comprehend the #4.  That's in the netherworld.... something I HOPE to accomplish in my lifetime.  Do you realise that it's been over 7 years and no one else has closed the #4?  (yes, I know about Sorin).

Closing that #3 is like all those other unbelievable athletic milestones.... the 4 minute mile, the 15 foot pole vault, etc.  And when you FINALLY do it..... words can't describe.....  :blush

I for one am more impressed with pinching two x 45# plates or lifting 220# plus on the Rolling Thunder or plate curling a 45 than closing a #3.

Guest baldy

Fewer people can do the feats you mentioned OldGuy, but is that because fewer train those movements or because those feats are harder?

I don't have an answer, I am asking. There are some things I see myself being able to do someday and some things seem beyond my reach (if I am living in reality at time of inquiry).

Baldy-

Exactly the point about closing the #3.  If as few people trained the benchpress as did grip training, a 400lb benchpress would be exceptional, as it is it is merely respectable.  I think in a few years several grip board members will have succeeded in closing the #4.

I don't recall ever mentioning or even suggesting that closing a "#3" was easy. People always use the silly argument that because some strong bench presser or whatever CAN'T close a #2 that makes closing one a very special thing. When in fact it is a very SPECIALIZED thing. I had a wrestling coach once who used to say "can't means won't and won't means quitter". This is very true with the grippers (up to a point!!!!)) as well as most other things. Different people are motivated by different things. I do believe that closing a #3 type gripper is something to be very proud of. My point was about a list maintained by a company as a marketing ploy to sell a product. The (rhetorical) question is not whether or not closing a gripper is hard, it is whether or not being on a list with 350 other people will be as much incentive to buy grippers as being on a list of 15-20. My GUESS was just that the list will shift upward to maintain it's impact (maybe 2-3 people will have closed a #4 by then - there are several knocking on the door right now).

If you think I am full of bull go ahead and have a swipe at me ... I can take it. I would like to hear your views (and reasons!!)). This is just an exchange of ideas, nothing personal, please.

-Mike M.

p.s. I fully intend to close my 3 at some point and I am training very hard to do so. I am not a gripper hater. I love my grippers; all ten of them!!