Crs Vs. Im Bars

Justin Reagan

On average, how would you all compare regular 1/4" cold rolled steel to IM steel? Is it usually harder, easier, or really close? I found a hardware store that sells 1/4" CRS in 6' sections, and its a bit cheaper. About $23 for 36'. Not cheap, but not the most expensive. Also, what is the difference in round "key stock" and regular CRS or HRS? 4' of 3/16" key stock is the same price as 3' of 3/16" CRS.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

Key stock isn't round it's square "to the best of my knowledge" as for the CRS thing IM nails are CRS but even CRS varies by supplier so it may be a little easier or a little harder but it's gonna be fairly close, if it's cheaper I'd go with that, I never bought any IM nails until I got 25 REDS to practice with before my cert, I used all local steel which was much cheaper.

I too was under the impression that key stock was square. Of course, the only square steel around here that I can get is a 1' length of zinc-plated square for around $2. But, this actually said it was round key stock, not square. I thought it was strange. I found it at Lowe's.

Justin Reagan

look in the phone book under "steel distributors or fabricators" also welding shops should be able to supply you with what you need for a fraction of the cost of hardwarestores.