Vertical Bar Lifts?

sammyg

Same thing as a one hand deadlift. Put your free hand on the knee of the same side of the body. You might want to grasp the bar with the palm facing forward because when you'll lift the bar off the ground, you won't believe the rotation of the thing. So far, I lifted 280 on a 2" non knurled vertical bar. Jim Wylie and David Horne are the best at this lift.

Guest TODonnell

One of the great sports pics of all time in my opinion is a cover of a HardGainer Magazine from years ago, showing David Horne vertical bar lifting a HUGE stack of plates while standing outside of what looks like a pub.  Be sure to check it out.

Yes, Tou 280lb is a fine lift.

The Hardgainer front cover is actually 213kg, and pictured in the back garden of my old house. Glad you like it TODonnell.

David

Hey Jim,

I'd like to get 300 but I don't train the vertical lift regularly. Right now my focus is on grippers and pinching 2 45's.

Tou

You should try the 1" bar. I have a feeling that you would lift some big weights with this lift.

How's it going with the pinching.  This is also one of my goals.

I casually lift 85 pounds (2 35's with a rod in the middle + 10 pounds). The 2 45's don't break the floor. I pinch once a week and I also train hard on the plate curl. I curled a 35 yesterday and I'm pleased with it. Now, I really have to get more focused on the grippers.

I don't have a 1" vertical bar. I shold get one made by a welder.

Guest Tobster

280 pounds! What´s the world record in this lift with a 2-inch bar? A few years ago I read that David Horne´s 115 kilos was a world record.

Tou I went for 300lbs at the recent iron grip endurance challenge but it wasn't there that day (think I managed only 125kg in the end).  I have done 132.5kg in training but that doesn't mean much really :(.