Anyone High Repping With Thumb Work?

pdoire

With the new High Rep gripper routines being popular I was wondering has anyone incorporated this type of training into their thumbwork?

Edited by pdoire

Have you, Paul? :mellow

Hi Syber,

I am just back after a few months off. I am trying the new High Rep scheme. I started to apply it to my pony work...just today. I was wondering if anyone else has used it for thumbwork? How about you John?

Paul,

Im curious what the results will turn out to be. It might be better for actual thumb pad size which is where most of the benefit seems to be. Keep us posted.

I am trying the new High Rep scheme. I started to apply it to my pony work...just today.

How does that work - the High Rep Scheme?? I have been neglecting my thumb work a lot and should really work on it! I've been doing the pony clamps like you, and some plate pinching - other than that, it's been 'now and then' working the thumb. :cry

Gregg and Daves program is posted here. I am just taking all the elastics off the pony and repping it for sets of high reps. As the weeks go by you add elastics and try to build the reps up again, same as the gripper program. At least this is what I am going to try to do. Looking for something different to make thumb training fun and productive.

The way I am doing these are as positive reps not negs like in the KTA program...just a change of pace and something new..hopefully shocking the thumb to stronger levels.

Edited by pdoire

Paul,

Im curious what the results will turn out to be. It might be better for actual thumb pad size which is where most of the benefit seems to be. Keep us posted.

Yes Austin I am hoping for some size gains to maximize the gripper leverage, but I am also hoping to get some real strength as I approach the end of the cycle and start the negs and max efforts. I will measure my progress by a loading pin I have attached to an oak 2 x 4 and seeing how this lift increases if at all!!

Paul,

Yes Austin I am hoping for some size gains to maximize the gripper leverage, but I am also hoping to get some real strength as I approach the end of the cycle and start the negs and max efforts. I will measure my progress by a loading pin I have attached to an oak 2 x 4 and seeing how this lift increases if at all!!

Paul great idea man, never thought of it but let all know how it goes

i have been doing high reps with my gripmasters, first as rehab, but now as its own exercise (in replacement of my pony clamp). so far, it has yielded better results in terms of my thumb pad size and thumb size below the first joint (i got some nasty definition in there too).

i keep my reps anywhere from 50-100, and do as many sets as i feel necessary.

been doing this only for a few weeks, and will keep you posted as to the long term effects of the exercise on overall grip strength

imo, my thumbs feel a lot healthier now with the high reps than with max time effort holds with the clamp. and again, imo, this healthier feeling seems connected to better strength output in the short run

I have added a starting point in my workout journal to gauge how much stronger I get with this method, If at all!!

Details are there...