How Do I Build Volume?

Justin Reagan

About every other bending workout I bend 1 IM blue towards the beginning, after just 2 or 3 warm-up pieces. Afterwards, I do a few easier bends, but I definitely can't ever get close to doing another blue. My hands and wrists are so toasted that I'd be lucky to kink a yellow. What do you guys suggest that I do to build up to doing more blues? My goal right now is to bend a blue without it feeling like a 100% max effort.

What's bad is that I'm almost totally out of my IM bars, and I still haven't found anywhere to buy cheap steel. Buying CRS at the hardware store would be about the same price as ordering more from ironmind.

I did slightly kink a G5 today, though. The bend IS there. You just have to look closely.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

Justin,

How often are you bending and how long have you been bending for?

Whilst I’m no expert I’m happy to relate how I’ve been able to increase my volume on 6” G5s from 2-3 to 5-6 in around 6 weeks.

Firstly, I bend twice a week. Sunday is pure bending, whilst Wednesday is mostly sledge levering (front, back, sides & “flicks”) with 4-5 target bends thrown in.

No more than 2 warm-up bends per session and I rarely do more than 8 bends in a workout (currently reviewing this though). Bend #3 is always my target (in this case a G5) and I keep going with these until I reckon the next one is probably beyond me (sounds wimpy- but remember I’m bending twice a week). At that point I pull back to something a little easier (ie. ¼” CRS) for a further bend or 2.

The reason I’ve been able to progress is undoubtedly the sledge work. Apart from the upfront cost, using a sledge costs $0 and is a great way of conditioning for higher volume.

Recording your workouts (ie. Sets, reps, how far down the handle your gripping the sledge) is the way to go. It’s then easy to make the workouts progressive.

In terms of steel, keep looking around, ultimately you’ll find some stuff which is fairly cheap and a good substitute for IM nails. I rarely bend IM nails these days because of the cost (can you imagine the cost of shipping to Australia?).

Hope this helps.

Dave

Justin,

How often are you bending and how long have you been bending for?

Whilst I’m no expert I’m happy to relate how I’ve been able to increase my volume on 6” G5s from 2-3 to 5-6 in around 6 weeks.

Firstly, I bend twice a week. Sunday is pure bending, whilst Wednesday is mostly sledge levering (front, back, sides & “flicks”) with 4-5 target bends thrown in.

No more than 2 warm-up bends per session and I rarely do more than 8 bends in a workout (currently reviewing this though).  Bend #3 is always my target (in this case a G5) and I keep going with these until I reckon the next one is probably beyond me (sounds wimpy- but remember I’m bending twice a week). At that point I pull back to something a little easier (ie. ¼” CRS) for a further bend or 2.

The reason I’ve been able to progress is undoubtedly the sledge work. Apart from the upfront cost, using a sledge costs $0 and is a great way of conditioning for higher volume. 

Recording your workouts (ie. Sets, reps, how far down the handle your gripping the sledge) is the way to go. It’s then easy to make the workouts progressive.

In terms of steel, keep looking around, ultimately you’ll find some stuff which is fairly cheap and a good substitute for IM nails. I rarely bend IM nails these days because of the cost (can you imagine the cost of shipping to Australia?).

Hope this helps.

Dave

dave's suggestion is good. sledge work helped me out as well.

bnend smaller stuff than blues...and just as many as possible.. I started with 5 inch spikes which are like greens for 10's...

I got alot of mileage when I started out of a 30 pound tub of shiny, common, 60D nails from Home Depot - around 330 nails. It took me maybe a year to bend them all, but it was the difference from bending a yellow when I started to around a red afterwards. I would just bend them around twice a week until I could not do another one, and used to go to bed icing my forearms from the pain, but it was the good kind of pain! Then when they are all bent you can even start breaking them all. Plus, when you are done the plastic tub makes a good carrying case for all your bending/grip supplies. Good luck.

Muscle Turtle:

When you say 5 inch spikes, what exactly do you mean?

mmainlands:

Are you talking about 60d common nails?? If so, that's my current goal. I can warp one of them at the moment. I can go through an IM blue most of the time, but I can't even get a 60d common at the best of times.

Thanks,

Justin Reagan

sorry, I thought you were below blues, my bad...

If you can bend blues go out and find 60 d Spirals.. Guys I bent with were doing around 10 of them and werent bending blues so they would be a good nail to try out and then get them Galvenized.

I like those galvanized 60d spiral nails. I bought a 30 lb tub of them at Home Depot a few months ago. I use them for all my warmups, and every once in a while I'll bend 40-50 of them for a workout. I found some that are a bit harder at Ace hardware, but I still can go for about 15-20 (or a little more) of them at a time.

Justin Reagan