Rt Contest

neilkaz

aw man. i wish i could go. too bad that it's on a working day for me.

Wanna hear sheer lunacy? Me, my 24-yr-old son, and his girlfriend are flying up 800 miles just for the contest. The elapsed time from leaving town to arriving home will be 12 hours. All 3 of us are entering. An hour and a half in the car each way, 1 1/2 hours on a plane each way, kill an hour, arrive early, do the contest, leave. The place is only 2 miles from the airport, when the contest is over, we are catching a cab to the airport.

It is my son's birthday, and we came up with this spur-of-the-moment fun trip. Before I go to bed next Friday night/Saturday morning, I will let you know how the shindig goes.

Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer , Son & Girlfriend

:D:mosher:blush

The contest was tonight and to my suprise (didnt know he was coming), Hubgeezer was there when I walked in. Awesome guy and family! He ended up winning the masters class with a mid 190's pull (dont remember exactly) and having the 3rd best pull of the night. The crowd was very shocked at his hand strength. Bench presser Ryan Kennelly was also there, signing autographs and taking photos. He's really tall (6'2" ish) and has long arms, which makes his 900lb bench all the more impressive.

Did Mike do his patented "miss a lift 11 times and then smoke it on the 12th"??? I don't know how anyone does that. But that is how he has been training for years!

I think that if Hubgeezer closed a #3 consistently and worked on his two hand pinch, he would be even tougher to beat in contests.

Heres a photo (L-R) of Tod Becraft (swede551), me, Ryan and Hubgeezer. Notice how Ryan makes my 292lbs (must be the shorts and tennis shoes) look like nothing. Group Photo

Maidenfan, what a modest guy. Nowhere does he mention WHO WON THE CONTEST WITH THE BIGGEST LIFT.

It was Maidenfan, with a lift of 213 1/2.

I think the lifts were:

Open Heavyweights

1. Maidenfan, 213.5

2. Vince Eldridge, a 750lb plus deadlifter, weighs around 375, pulled 201

3. Don't know his name, muscular guy with a Mohawk haircut who lifted barefoot, 183.5 pull

4-6 or so...below 170

Lightweights(under 210)

1. 163.5? Kid looked like a gripguy/blue collar, not a pretty boy bodybuilder, weighed 206

2.151 Fellow in a tank top who had arms and shoulders Mr. Olympia would have been proud of

3. 141 Son of Hubgeezer, age 24 weight of 178, VERY UNHAPPY with his performance, 146 went up 95% 3 times, the 30 seconds was not enough for him. Did 151 easily in our garage the next night w/ no warmup, pissed him off even more

4-5 120s, 130s

Some 16 year old won the youth division with 160 something

Women

1. 86 Girlfriend of Hubgeezer's son, won on lower bodyweight

2. 86 Srong gal, powerlifter, much stronger than above, but them's the breaks

Masters

1. Hubgeezer 196

No one else over 45 playing

I would imagine that eventually Julie Havelka will post the full results on her website. Google her name and you'll find it.

Tod Becraft and Julie Havelka should be given awards for putting a nice little specialty contest like this together for the 5th straight year, which I suspect makes it one of the oldest most consistent RT contests in the US.

There was a big powerlifting contest in Portland that weekend, so there were a number of powerlifters there. You were not sure that they were in the contest or not, as they sat watching. Ryan Kennelly actually paid the entry fee, but never jumped in. After it was over, he walked up to Maidenfan's 213.5, grabbed the weight, and it went up about a third to half up, which means he has something in those 18 inch forearms.

It was a fun time, and I may do it next year, but I won't be paying the way for the whole family again!

Hubgeezer

Post posting. Hell, Tod and Julie already have the results posted. My results are only 95% accurate. There was another heavyweight who did 181.

Edited by Hubgeezer