Climbing Rope

TennisDude

Does anyone do this? I am interested in getting a 2" rope and attaching it to a tree.

As far as exercise goes, this could not only be a great upper body workout, imagine not using your legs, but also a great grip workout as well.

The only thing stopping me is, how will I be able to know if the tree will support me? Sure, it might now, but who knows? One day, it might just snap and that would be bad. Very bad.

Thanks,

TennisDude

Does anyone do this?  I am interested in getting a 2" rope and attaching it to a tree.

As far as exercise goes, this could not only be a great upper body workout, imagine not using your legs, but also a great grip workout as well.

The only thing stopping me is, how will I be able to know if the tree will support me?  Sure, it might now, but who knows?  One day, it might just snap and that would be bad.  Very bad.

Thanks,

TennisDude

I have climbed rope.I did it without using legs and it is a great grip and bicep workout.

As far as a tree supporting you.. that can be very risky.If you decide to do it though try to find a strong tree and hang and tug on the rope before.You also might want to try and have two people hang from the rope to see if it can hold alot of weight.

Again it's a risk.

How high off the ground do you plan on making the rope climb?

Edited by Nitro

Does anyone do this?  I am interested in getting a 2" rope and attaching it to a tree.

The only thing stopping me is, how will I be able to know if the tree will support me?  Sure, it might now, but who knows?  One day, it might just snap and that would be bad.  Very bad.

Thanks,

TennisDude

I use a pulley arrangement attached to a tree in my yard that I use to hoist my climbing rope up. Regardless, you'll want to be able to remove it since weather is an enemy to the rope. Obviously, choose a fat healthy limb from a healthy tree. I confine my climbing to 10' figuring I won't die from that height, although the rope is 18'. West Marine sells nautical pullleys that are very strong and weather resistant along with good pulley rope..

I had a tree guy climb the tree and screw in the pulley. Periodically I inspect through binoculars. Remember, the pulley sees twice the load you place on the rope, (eg. me at 210 = 420 at the pulley) so get a pulley rated for at least 2x. Just tie off the hoisting rope using a nautical cleat on an adjacent tree.

I go up 10' from sitting on the ground and back down, no feet. I rest then repeat 2 to three more times. Chalk is a necessity as is total focus.

The safest way of doing it is to climb only ten feet up the rope and then lower yourself back down, climbing back up as soon as your feet touch the floor. Continue going up and down until exhaustion.

This method will work you as hard as going all the way up the rope and then back down because you're still having to do 50% up and 50% down either way you aproach it. Try to pick a tree that has thick grass at the bottom, which acts as a shock absorber if you fall.

Edited by gunnaknow

Roger, this is really WEIRD! We both posted at the same time and we both recommended only climbing up 10 feet! Your post was at 2:49 and mine at 2:50.

Edited by gunnaknow

Interesting idea. I'd have to get help setting it up, because I probably wouldn't trust myself enough with the pulley and whatnot.

How bad is it, if it gets wet? I am sure there will be some unexpected times where it starts raining and I didn't know it would. What if it was in the rain for awhile because I wasn't home?

I could also get some mats to put on the bottom to cushion any fall, just in case.

Well if you use a pulley there's no real reason you can't take it down after each workout. A rope can develop rot if not kept dry and lose strength, :(

Would anyone have any helpful hints on constructing the sort of pulley system required?

I'd appreciate it, and I will research the basics of constructing one online as well.

Thanks,

TennisDude

Unless you live in a particularly humid environment, I wouldn't worry about rot or gunk buildup because of weather. Ive had my 2.5" manilla rope hanging outside in the trees for around three years now and its as good as the day I got it.. (almost) it still smells like oil and its still a bitch to climb! 25' straight up! As for a pulley... for 2" rope? it may be a bit pricey to find a pulley for 2" rope. forget it. Just splice an eye in the end and then use a few thinner ropes to attach it to a sturdy tree branch. You'll want the rope to be at least 15' long. Use three thin (3/8 or so) ropes to attach it to the limb. make these all the same length so the tension on these is all the same. Tie a 4th loop but leave this one slack, so it has no tension on it. this is your backup (incase all three other ropes break.... unlikely) or use chain or cable for the se supporting strands. You can thread the support ropes/chain/cable through some sturdy rubber hose to prevent the tree limb from chafing the ropes and vise versa, and to keep the elements off these vital lifelines. the 2" manilla rope should last a lifetime hanging vertically outside.. keep the end off the ground so it doesn't wick moisture.

you can tie knots every two feet or so as a "just in case". If you are getting too tired and feel like youre going to lose it, stand on one of the knots.. just skip them with you hands on the way up.

its really an awesome exercise, and definitely the most fun by far. even just swinging on the thing will tax your grip to the max.

~Steve